Max 'd' for Blocks A & B: 0.5 Friction Coefficient

In summary, the problem involves a 2kg block, A, attached to a spring with a spring constant of 40N/m. Another block, B, with a mass of 4kg is pressed against A, causing the spring to compress by a distance 'd'. The maximum value of 'd' needs to be determined in order for B to be released without A losing contact with the wall. The problem is solved using the work-kinetic energy theorem.
antiparticle

Homework Statement

A block A has mass =2kg and is attached to a spring of spring constant=40N/m .Another block of mass 4kg is pressed against A so that the spring is compresses by a distance 'd' .Then find the maximum value of 'd' for which on release of the B does not lose contact from the wall {friction coefficienT between the floor and the block=0.5].The block A is kept adjacent to the wall.

Homework Equations

Work-kinetic energy theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi antiparticle! :smile:

I don't get it :redface: … if A is against the wall, where are the spring and B? :confused:

On the left side of block A there is a wall on the right side of A there is a spring attached to A and the other end of the spring is attached to B.Now B is pushed against the wall so that the spring compresses.
I think now it is more clear.

Just one thing still confusing me …

"Then find the maximum value of 'd' for which on release of the B does not lose contact from the wall "

… but B isn't in contact with the wall. :confused:

I meant that A should not leave contact with the wall.

Sorry for my english.

ah, that all makes sense now.

ok, show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

What is the meaning of "Max 'd' for Blocks A & B: 0.5 Friction Coefficient"?

"Max 'd' for Blocks A & B: 0.5 Friction Coefficient" refers to the maximum distance that two blocks, A and B, can slide against each other while maintaining a friction coefficient of 0.5.

Why is the friction coefficient important in this scenario?

The friction coefficient is important because it determines the amount of resistance between two surfaces in contact. In this scenario, a friction coefficient of 0.5 means that there is moderate resistance between blocks A and B, and they will not slide as easily compared to a lower friction coefficient.

What does a friction coefficient of 0.5 indicate?

A friction coefficient of 0.5 indicates that there is moderate resistance between the two blocks, meaning that they will require more force to slide against each other compared to a lower friction coefficient.

How is the maximum distance (d) calculated?

The maximum distance is calculated by multiplying the friction coefficient (0.5) by the weight of the blocks and the force applied to them. This value is then divided by the force of gravity to determine the maximum distance that the blocks can slide while maintaining a friction coefficient of 0.5.

What factors can affect the friction coefficient in this scenario?

The friction coefficient can be affected by the type of material the blocks are made of, the surface roughness of the blocks, and the amount of force applied to them. Additionally, factors such as temperature and humidity can also affect the friction coefficient between two surfaces.