1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Nice spring block

1. Mar 14, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A block A has mass =2kg and is attached to a spring of spring constant=40N/m .Another block of mass 4kg is pressed against A so that the spring is compresses by a distance 'd' .Then find the maximum value of 'd' for which on release of the B does not lose contact from the wall {friction coefficienT between the floor and the block=0.5].The block A is kept adjacent to the wall.

2. Relevant equations

Work-kinetic energy theorem

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi antiparticle! :smile:

I don't get it :redface: … if A is against the wall, where are the spring and B? :confused:

4. Mar 14, 2010 #3
    On the left side of block A there is a wall on the right side of A there is a spring attached to A and the other end of the spring is attached to B.Now B is pushed against the wall so that the spring compresses.
    I think now it is more clear.

5. Mar 14, 2010 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just one thing still confusing me …

"Then find the maximum value of 'd' for which on release of the B does not lose contact from the wall "

… but B isn't in contact with the wall. :confused:

6. Mar 14, 2010 #5
    I meant that A should not leave contact with the wall.

Sorry for my english.

7. Mar 14, 2010 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

ah, that all makes sense now.

ok, show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook