Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Nice spring block

1. Mar 14, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A block A has mass =2kg and is attached to a spring of spring constant=40N/m .Another block of mass 4kg is pressed against A so that the spring is compresses by a distance 'd' .Then find the maximum value of 'd' for which on release of the B does not lose contact from the wall {friction coefficienT between the floor and the block=0.5].The block A is kept adjacent to the wall.

2. Relevant equations

Work-kinetic energy theorem

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi antiparticle! :smile:

I don't get it :redface: … if A is against the wall, where are the spring and B? :confused:

4. Mar 14, 2010 #3
    On the left side of block A there is a wall on the right side of A there is a spring attached to A and the other end of the spring is attached to B.Now B is pushed against the wall so that the spring compresses.
    I think now it is more clear.

5. Mar 14, 2010 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just one thing still confusing me …

"Then find the maximum value of 'd' for which on release of the B does not lose contact from the wall "

… but B isn't in contact with the wall. :confused:

6. Mar 14, 2010 #5
    I meant that A should not leave contact with the wall.

Sorry for my english.

7. Mar 14, 2010 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

ah, that all makes sense now.

ok, show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook