Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nice Try.

1. Oct 28, 2004 #1
    Just caught this on CNN. Get over to http://www.georgewbush.com/ before they take it down. Take a look at the ‘whatever it takes’ photo. It shows a large crowd of US military personnel standing in formation listening to the president. Problem is, it’s a fake picture. If you look closely, you can see that a lot of the faces are exactly the same. Just thought it was funny. ‘whatever it takes’ indeed guys. :tongue2:

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2004 #2
    I see no GW Bush in that picture.

4. Oct 28, 2004 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

What is CNN saying about it? The photo looks fake simply because the foreground and background perspectives seem unlikely to have been captured at the same time. But lacking context, I can't say whether that's right or wrong (the tv ads have, indeed, been pulled from the site).

5. Oct 28, 2004 #4
    Well the story will probably make it on the CNN website in a little while, but I only caught a bit of it. Yes I noticed there was not GW in the pictures also but that was the description given on the TV report.

Oh, they're talking about it on CNN now. Basically the Bush camp says that the president was in the picture before on the left side speaking in front of a podium. He was then cut out and some pictures of the military personnel were edited in. I don’t know why they’d cut out the president, but ok, I’ll believe that.

6. Oct 28, 2004 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I wonder if it was the picture at http://www.johnkerry.com/index.html that made them feel the need to show a picture filled with people...

7. Oct 28, 2004 #6
    :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yeah, I think Kerry wins that one.

8. Oct 28, 2004 #7
    That's a lot of people. Im not sure if Bush can top that, keep adding more people and they will start to blend into the horizon :biggrin: .

9. Oct 28, 2004 #8
    They photoshoped an image so it wouldn't look weird.

Uh...

Scandal?

What?

10. Oct 28, 2004 #9

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/10/28/bush.ad.ap/index.html

11. Oct 28, 2004 #10

Evo

If the pictures check posted are accurate, there were at least three podiums within the group of soldiers according to the Bush press release?

What's wrong with just telling the truth? Ok, someone doctored up the picture, that I can accept, making up a lie to cover it up is pathetic.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2004
  12. Oct 29, 2004 #11

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Evo, do you still continue to be shocked by lies and deception from the Bushies ? Most of us have developed an immunity to such reaction.

13. Oct 29, 2004 #12

russ_watters

Could someone help me out here - I'm not seeing a lie. They doctored a photo to make it look pretty for the website and TV commercial and when asked about it, they admitted it. What's the problem?

14. Oct 29, 2004 #13

kat

I don't get how you're coming to the conclusion that there would be at least three podiums....can you clarify?

So....If the origional is shown and it shows that it was only one podium and the president, as they are saying...then you will find it acceptable?

15. Oct 29, 2004 #14
    Are you serious? We are talking about, not just any commercial, but the commercial of a presidential candidate. We have a legitimate expectation of a higher level of integrity.

16. Oct 29, 2004 #15

kat

17. Oct 29, 2004 #16
    I think what Evo is trying to say is that since pictures of the same soldiers are shown three times, there should be three podiums, but they appear to be edited out entirely.

18. Oct 29, 2004 #17

kat

Then I'm going to assume that she's not familiar with photoshopping and leave it at that.

19. Oct 29, 2004 #18

Evo

If you look at the picture check posted check2.jpg, in his first post, you will see three sets of soldiers over a large area, but the picture you referenced has just the single podium covering a much smaller area. That's a really bad job of photo editing.

Yes, it is acceptable, I don't see what the fuss is about. It's obvious that they didn't alter the photo with the intention of creating a false message and the Bush press release appears to be accurate.

Why would anyone even care about this?

20. Oct 29, 2004 #19
    Out of US, we are forbidden to see Bush's web.

21. Oct 29, 2004 #20

russ_watters

Integrity for what? You're implying that altering the photo, in and of itself, is a deception. It isn't. Here is the point:
    Altering a photo is not automatically an attempt to decieve. There is no integrity issue here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?