How can I find the integral of \frac{x^3}{e^x - 1} from 0 to infinity?

• Thread starter roeb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary: I mean our... posts.)In summary, the given integral cannot be expressed in closed form. By expanding the integrand into a geometric series, it can be shown that the integral is equivalent to a sum involving the zeta function, which evaluates to approximately 6 times the sum of the reciprocals of the fourth powers of natural numbers.
roeb

Homework Statement

[tex]\int_0^{\inf} \frac{x^3}{e^x - 1}dx[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having a hard time with this one... Not sure what to do

I did the easier integral [tex]\int \frac{1}{e^x - 1} dx= ln(e^x - 1) - x[/tex]

I then proceeded to attempt integration by parts, but I can't seem to come up with a nice way to find the integral.

[tex]u = 1/(e^x - 1)....du = \frac{-e^x}{(e^x-1)^2 }dx[/tex]
[tex]dv = x^3 dx...v = x^4/4[/tex]
But as you can see that seems to complicate the integral so I gave up there...

I also tried by saying:
[tex]u = x^3...du = 3x^2[/tex]
[tex]dv = 1/(e^x - 1).....v = ln(e^x - 1) - x[/tex]

But this is even worse...

Integration by parts for this integral doesn't seem to work. I am thinking since the integral goes from 0 to inf that there may be some other trick that I am not aware of. Does anyone know what to do for this integral?

Physics news on Phys.org

The antiderivative can't be expressed in closed form. Try expanding [tex]\frac{1}{e^x - 1}[/tex] into a geometric series.

Hmm interesting, thanks. Let me see if I understand correctly,

e^x = 1 + x + ...[tex]
\int_0^{\inf} \frac{x^3}{e^x - 1}dx = \int_0^{\inf} \frac{x^3}{1 + x - 1}dx = \int_0^{\inf} x^2 dx = \inf ?
[/tex]

I don't believe I've ever done an integral by using a series substitution like that, but I was under the impression that the answer shouldn't be infinity? Am I doing it incorrectly yet?

No, I don't think that's what roeb meant. Use the geometric series expansion 1/(1-e^(-x))=1+e^(-x)+e^(-2x)+... That means 1/(e^x-1)=e^(-x)+e^(-2x)+... This isn't an elementary integral. Now look up the definition of the gamma function. The terms in your expansion look like x^3*exp(-nx). By a change of variable you can put that into the form of the gamma function and get that it's gamma(4)*1/n^4. So you've got gamma(4)*(1/1^4+1/2^4+1/3^4+...). Now look up the definition of the zeta function.

Last edited:

cellotim said:
The series expansion is [tex] -\frac{1}{1 - e^x} = -\sum_{n=0}^\infty e^{nx} [/tex] You can then do integration by parts on each term, [tex] x^3e^{nx} [/tex]. I have found the answer in several online look-up tables so you can check with those. Be careful taking the alternating series to infinity though. You should get zero.

Zero? That doesn't look right, the integrand is non-negative. Your initial series expansion is divergent and the final series doesn't alternate. Oh, and when I said "I don't think that's what roeb meant" in post 4, I meant "I don't think that's what cellotim meant". The series expansion is good idea. I don't think you've got the parts following that right yet.

Last edited:

This is an improper integral, because the integrand x3/(ex-1) is not defined at the edge of the integration domain, x=0. e0 - 1 = 1 - 1 = 0. 03/0 = 0/0 is undefined. So one must first ascertain whether it converges.

To find a primitive function, one might substitute ex = u, or x = elog(u). Then x3/(ex-1) = {elog(u)}3/(u-1), and dx = (1/u)du. Integrating by parts, and remembering that 1/{u(u-1)} = 1/(u-1) - 1/u would yield some nice expressions, but also the nasty elog(u+1)*d{elog(u)}. I don't know what to do with that, but perhaps someone else does.

Almanzo said:
This is an improper integral, because the integrand x3/(ex-1) is not defined at the edge of the integration domain, x=0. e0 - 1 = 1 - 1 = 0. 03/0 = 0/0 is undefined. So one must first ascertain whether it converges.

To find a primitive function, one might substitute ex = u, or x = elog(u). Then x3/(ex-1) = {elog(u)}3/(u-1), and dx = (1/u)du. Integrating by parts, and remembering that 1/{u(u-1)} = 1/(u-1) - 1/u would yield some nice expressions, but also the nasty elog(u+1)*d{elog(u)}. I don't know what to do with that, but perhaps someone else does.

Near x=0 it behaves like x^2, roeb's power series expansion shows that clearly enough. x=0 is a removable singularity and nothing to worry about. There is no elementary primitive function. As I've said, you need a zeta function.

Last night, I have thought about it some more.

x3/(ex-1) = (x3/ex)*1/(1-e-x)
x3/(ex-1) = (x3/ex)*(1 + e-x + e-2x + e-3x + e-4x + ...)
x3/(ex-1) = x3 * (e-x + e-2x + e-3x + e-4x + ...)

Let Gn(x) = (-1/n)*(x3 + 3x2/n + 6x/n2 + 6/n3)*e-nx
gn(x) = dGn(x)/dx = (x3 + 3x2/n + 6x/n2 +6/n3)*e-nx - (1/n)*(3x2 + 6x/n + 6/n2)*e-nx
gn(x) = x3 * e-nx

Therefore, if dF(x)/dx = x3/(ex-1)
F(x) = G1(x) + G2(x) + G3(x) + G4(x) + ...

Each of the G's is zero at x=0 and approaches zero if x increases without bound.
But is the same now true for F? This must still be proved.

If it is true for F, then the integral comes to 0 - 0 = 0.

Last edited:

Gn(0) isn't 0. It's 6/n^4. (Not -6/n^4). x^3/(exp(x)-1) IS POSITIVE for x>0. How can you even think to claim the integral is zero? It's the sum over n of 6/n^4. It's 6*zeta(4).

Ooops. Sorry. You are correct. Gn(0)=(-6/n^4). It's the integral of the nth term that is +6/n^4.

[tex] \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{x^3}{e^x-1}\ \mbox{d}x = \int_0^{\infty} \frac{e^{-x}\ x^3}{1-e^{-x}}\ \mbox{d}x = \int_0^{\infty} \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} e^{-(n+1)x}\ x^3\ \mbox{d}x = \int_0^{\infty} \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{6}{(n+1)^3}\ e^{-(n+1)x}\ \mbox{d}x= \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{6}{(n+1)^4} = \frac{6 \pi^4}{90}[/tex]

Oh, yes. Gn(0) = (-1/n)*(6/n3)*e0=(-6/n4). Not zero at all.
But Gn(x) does tend to zero if x increases without bound.
So, the integral of gn(x) from 0 to infinity would be (+6/n4).

Strangely, because someone had earlier suggested zero as the answer, I accepted a result of zero without carefully checking my own algebra. Sorry.

And, if the integral converges on both ends, the integral of f(x) from 0 to infinity comes to:
6 * (1 + 1/16 + 1/81 + 1/256 + ...). Exactly the sum in the previous post.

(By the way, I wonder how to produce integral and sum signs in my posts.)

Last edited:

Use the tex, /tex commands each in brackets to do latex.

Almanzo said:
Oh, yes. Gn(0) = (-6/n3). Not zero at all.
But Gn(x) does tend to zero if x increases without bound.
So, the integral of gn(x) from 0 to infinity would be (+6/n3).

Strangely, because someone had earlier suggested zero as the answer, I accepted a result of zero without carefully checking my own algebra. Sorry.

And, if the integral converges on both ends, the integral of f(x) from 0 to infinity comes to:
6 * (1 + 1/8 + 1/27 + 1/64 + ...).

(By the way, I wonder how to produce integral and sum signs in my posts.)

If you click on the symbols in dirk_mec's post, it should pop up a window showing you how the tex symbols were entered. And yes, you've got the integral. The sum of inverse powers is called the zeta function. (As I've said in every post).

What is the purpose of finding an integral?

Finding an integral is a way to calculate the area under a curve or the accumulation of a quantity over a given interval. This concept is used in many fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and economics, to solve real-world problems.

What is a nice way to find the integral?

One of the most commonly used methods to find an integral is through the use of integration techniques, such as substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. These techniques can simplify the integral and make it easier to solve.

What are the benefits of finding the integral?

Finding the integral can help to analyze and understand the behavior of a function, as well as calculate important quantities such as displacement, velocity, and acceleration. It also allows for the prediction of future values based on past data.

What are some challenges in finding the integral?

One of the main challenges in finding the integral is identifying the appropriate integration technique to use. It requires a strong understanding of algebra and calculus, and it may require multiple steps and techniques to solve a complex integral.

How can finding the integral be applied in different fields of science?

Finding the integral has various applications in different fields of science. In physics, it can be used to calculate work, energy, and power. In chemistry, it can be used to determine reaction rates and concentrations. In economics, it can be used to analyze supply and demand curves. The applications are endless and can help solve a wide range of problems in different scientific disciplines.