Niche of Organisms: Same Species, Different Niches?

• Thread starter gracy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of niche, which is a type of lifestyle that allows an organism to survive in a particular habitat. The question is posed whether two members of the same species living in the same habitat can have different niches, and it is suggested that this may be possible depending on how niche and species are defined. Some links and examples are provided to support this idea, such as the Helicobacter bacteria having different niches in the same habitat. The conversation also touches on the idea of niche being ecological and how it can differ between predators and prey in the same region.
gracy
As far as i know niche is not any place or geographical location/space (i.e habitat),instead it is a kind of lifestyle which enable an organism to survive in particular habitat,right?Now i want to ask can two members of same species living in same habitat have different niches?if yes then please give example.I don't think so because members of same species would have similar lifestyle so similar niche.Even members of same same species can have different lifestyle or niche if they are in different habitat but members of same species in same habitat having different niches i can't imagine!

Biology news on Phys.org
Wikipedia suggests that it may be possible depending on how niche and species are defined: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polymorphism_(biology)#Polymorphism_and_niche_diversity.

Googling for "polymorphism niche diversity" led to some other interesting links:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11724955
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15514047

I think the Helicobacter example is something like what you are looking for, with different niches in the same(?) habitat being occupied by a single species. The question is whether the habitats for the different niches are the really the same.

The Borrelia example seems different, but I listed it for comparison.

Last edited:
gracy said:
members of same species in same habitat having different niches i can't imagine!
You're not married, are you?:oldeyes:

Likes atyy
I've always thought niche was ecological. So a predator and a prey in the same region will have different niches. The prey feeds the predators, the predators keep prey populations stable.

I can confirm that your understanding of a niche is correct. A niche is not a specific location, but rather the role an organism plays in its environment. It includes the resources it uses, interactions with other organisms, and its adaptations for survival.

To answer your question, yes, it is possible for two members of the same species living in the same habitat to have different niches. This can occur if there is variation within the species, such as differences in behavior, diet, or preferred habitat within the larger habitat. For example, in a population of birds living in a forest, some individuals may specialize in eating insects found in the canopy while others may focus on foraging on the forest floor. They are still members of the same species, but they have different niches within the same habitat.

Another example could be seen in a population of fish living in a lake. Some individuals may prefer to feed on bottom-dwelling invertebrates, while others may specialize in eating algae from the surface. Both groups are members of the same species, but they have different niches within the same habitat.

So, although it may be more common for members of the same species to have similar niches, it is possible for individuals to have different niches within the same habitat due to differences in their behavior, diet, or adaptations. This variation can actually be beneficial for the species as a whole, as it allows for more efficient use of resources and reduces competition within the population.

1. What is a niche?

A niche refers to the specific role or position that an organism occupies within its ecosystem. It includes the physical and biological factors that influence the survival and reproduction of the organism.

2. How can organisms of the same species have different niches?

Even within the same species, individual organisms can have different niches based on factors such as their physical characteristics, behavior, and the resources available in their environment. This allows for specialization and reduces competition within the species.

3. What are some examples of different niches within the same species?

Some examples of different niches within the same species include birds that feed on different types of insects, plants, or prey items, or animals that occupy different levels of a forest canopy or ocean depth.

4. How do different niches contribute to the overall health of an ecosystem?

Having organisms with different niches within a species helps to maintain a balance within the ecosystem. This allows for a more diverse and stable community of species, as each organism is able to perform specific functions within their niche, such as pollination, nutrient cycling, or predator control.

5. Can an organism change its niche over time?

Yes, an organism's niche can change over time due to environmental conditions or competition. For example, a bird may switch to a different food source if its usual prey becomes scarce. In some cases, a species may even evolve to occupy a different niche in response to changes in their environment.