Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nicholas Berg video

1. May 12, 2004 #1

honestrosewater

Gold Member

I am trying to decide if I will, if I should, watch the video of his beheading. I wish I didn't have to consider this question, but I wish a lot of things. Can anyone offer some advice?
    Rachel

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2004 #2
    I don't think you should. It may have a negative effect on you; it may leave you with the illusion that those people are evil and we are good. Which is the whole point of this anyway. Or do you think the media is interested in truth?

4. May 12, 2004 #3

honestrosewater

Gold Member

The whole point of what? I don't understand to what "this" refers.

So I should think all people in the media are evil and not interested in truth? It seems you have been left with an illusion yourself.

5. May 13, 2004 #4
    I watch it and I wish I hadn't. But your views do change when you watch it. I think thats what he means.

6. May 13, 2004 #5

honestrosewater

Gold Member

For whatever reason, this story has had an especially intense effect on me. I have also heard several seasoned people describe it as one of the worst things they have seen. I am not worried about my views changing, I can deal. I think it's a remembrance thing. The image would make it more "real", more difficult to forget or rationalize away. I don't know.

7. May 13, 2004 #6
    This refers to war, I believe; interpreting confutatis' note right.

That's not what he said or meant. He meant that the media is concerned with morality, but in their line of work, they would rather see our reaction of how we communicate our morals on the situation to others. The illusion is of war.

8. May 13, 2004 #7
    How did your views change?

9. May 13, 2004 #8
    I decided not to watch it because I think I am capable of understanding gruesomeness without seeing it. Also, if I were to watch this, I would feel compelled to watch the deaths of the thousands of Iraqis that have been killed in this senseless war.

10. May 13, 2004 #9

M M

i just want to talk about the execution of Nicholas Berg first i would like to say im Egyption and Moslim and only thinking about what they have done to him make me feel really sick..there have no excuse ..and what they did was not human ,and im so sorry for his family...
    i was thinking to watch the tape but i dont think i can ..

11. May 13, 2004 #10
    Its a sickening video... Its my first viewing of a decapitation... I am surprised at myself being so desenstized to this stuff... I wonder whats the point of it all...

12. May 13, 2004 #11

M M

i can imagine ..i dont think i can sleep if i see that..its just terrible to kill a helpless person cant even move ..

13. May 13, 2004 #12
    Well my views seeing Iraqis as the people being bullied by Americans. But the Iraqis can only be victims for so long until they get pushed over the edge and resort to picking on even smaller people with sick outcomes. Iraqis could have handle things much less brutally and would make the Americans the sick ones. My views changed by seeing both Americans and the Iraqis as sick instead of just the Americans. Of course i don't see their whole countries as sick but more of their military methods.

First the Americans had no right to humiliate the Iraq prisioners.
    Second nothing can justify what has happened to Nicholas Berg. And all those responsible deserve to be punished. There was no pity, remorse or guilt in their actions and they just treated him like what a butcher would do to a pig.

14. May 14, 2004 #13
    I keep reading everyone talking about should they or shouldn't they watch this video. How do you suppose you'd have the chance let alone the choice to watch it. This is something I seriously doubt is going to be able to be viewed by anyone except the top authorities. I've read articles about the video being a fake. Which I don't honestly see how it "could" be. I think that if the public "HAD" a chance or the choice for that matter to view this video, it may possibly shed some light onto a lot of matters. :confused:

15. May 14, 2004 #14
    The video has been released on several websites. If you wish to find it and watch that is your business.

Notice: Any links to the video posted here will be deleted

16. May 14, 2004 #15
    Are you trying to accuse the media for being biased? Because it has also made a big deal out of the humiliation of Iraqi prisoners, so you can hardly accuse it of emphasizing pro-US stories and hiding stories that show the US in bad light. And besides, it was the Arab media that decided to make this video public, it's not like the murderers invited reporters from CNN to witness the event. So if it makes them look evil, they have only themselves to blame.

17. May 14, 2004 #16
    If you believe that war is a necessity - watch the video. War ain't fun and it is for real, a life and death situation. This will show how barbaric you must be to just survive combat. Not win, survive.

If you believe in peace - there is no need to watch. you know that war is a poor choice for solving any problem.

embrace peace,
    olde drunk

18. May 14, 2004 #17

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

it would seem to me that people who have a curiousity of watching a gruesome act are not remembering that this was a person who had a family who loved him and would rather this not be a public viewing. out of respect for this family, i think it would be good if we all choose to not watch it. these men who are responsible for this horrific act want to be known for their intent on hurting another, and would smile each time they knew someone (especially an american) had a desire to watch this horrific act.

Last edited: May 14, 2004
  19. May 14, 2004 #18

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I choose not to view it. I know what happened, there is no need to watch it. To watch it only serves to cause emotions and possibly a visceral reaction that I don't wish to have (there is a good chance I'd vomit).

However, if you think you need that reaction for whatever reason, by all means watch it.
    Certainly reasonable, but I'm not really sure what the family wants or what he would have wanted.
    True only if the reaction they get is the one they are looking for. Terrorism by definition is an attempt to intimidate. Americans generally respond in the opposite way from which terrorists would like: we get more aggressive.

If the intent of 9/11 was only to kill as many people as possible, then it was a success. If it had a larger intent to scare us into changing an attitude in their favor (pulling out of the middle east, for example), then it utterly backfired. Same idea here.

Last edited: May 14, 2004
  20. May 14, 2004 #19

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Thank you :) I'm glad that I waited to make the decision. I'm not going to watch it.

21. May 14, 2004 #20

honestrosewater

Gold Member

The illusion to which I was referring is the illusion that all individuals in some group are exactly the same, in every way. Are all individuals in the media biased? Or are some biased and some not biased? Are all Americans opposed to the war? Do all Americans support the war?
    Was Nick Berg killed because he supported the war or because he lived in Pennsylvania?
    I don't know his killers's motives, but their message speaks volumes.

You cannot put all Iraqi victims into one group either- some were engaged as combatants and some were civilian casualties. I am not making the distinction to justify any killing. I am making the distinction because they involve different intentions and motives. You can see these differences expressed when people take issue with the treatment of POW's.

Though I consider myself a civilian, I'm not sure if the line between civilian and combatant is so clear. I have never touched a gun, but my taxes do help pay for them. And perhaps I would sleep with a gun under my pillow, if I was without the protection of civil servants and the military.

When the war began, I was undecided. I am 21, and this is the first war I have watched on the news (instead of the history) channel. Nick Berg's killing made me realize that my "undecided" was turning into "indifferent". I think that is why it was so alarming to me.

Please don't take any of my comments as mean-spirited.

Happy thoughts
    Rachel
    P.S. I live in Florida and I voted in the 2000 elections. I voted for Nader.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?