Heating Nichrome Wire with 9.6V Battery - Newbie Help

In summary, a newbie is seeking help with a project that involves heating 24 inches of coiled nichrome wire using a 9.6V battery with 1600mAh. The wire heats up nicely, but only lasts for a minute due to the inefficiency of resistive heating. It is suggested to use a car battery charger or a 200 watt lamp in series with a light dimmer for a more sustainable heat source. The website provided may also be helpful for the project.
tkyleus
Hello - I am a newbie looking for some basic help. I am working on a school project and need to heat about 24 inches of coiled nichrome wire. I am using a 9.6V battery ((1600mAh). It heats the wire nicely, but only lasts a minute or so. Do I need a Potetiometer to regulate the heat or some other device to make the heat conducted more sustainable?

Engineering news on Phys.org
tkyleus,

Welcome to PF!

9.6V @ 1.6Ah = 15.36Wh

If you mean "heats the wire nicely" as being discernible heat rise, it should happen for a VERY short period of time. Resistive heat is terribly inefficient. To put this in another way, a 120V consumer resistive heater is generally ~1200W (10A). This would translate to 1.2kWh, or roughly 1.3% of what your battery is capable of. Another way, if your 15Wh heater were to produce 1.5kWh of resistive heat, it could do it for about 36 seconds.

I don't think there is any problem with your experiment, you simply need to realize the implications.

Fish

this maybe helpful:http://www.techlib.com/hobby/hotwire_foam_cutter.htm
In the world of foam model airplanes they often use car battery chargers
for power source. I use, for 12 inches of straight nichrome wire
smaller than a guitar string, a 200 watt lamp in series with a light dimmer and
the wire. Making sure the hot wire (black in USA) goes directly to the
dimmer switch and common (white) goes directly to the other end of the wire.
This is for cutting pink and blue foam.

Last edited:

What is Nichrome wire?

Nichrome wire is a type of resistance wire made from a nickel-chromium alloy. It is commonly used in heating elements, such as in toasters and hair dryers, due to its ability to withstand high temperatures and resist corrosion.

How does heating Nichrome wire with a 9.6V battery work?

When a voltage is applied to Nichrome wire, it creates a flow of electricity. This flow of electricity encounters resistance in the wire, causing it to heat up. The higher the voltage applied, the more heat is generated.

What is the purpose of using a 9.6V battery to heat Nichrome wire?

A 9.6V battery is commonly used to heat Nichrome wire because it provides enough voltage to generate heat, but not so much that it will cause the wire to overheat or burn out. It is a safe and convenient power source for heating small amounts of Nichrome wire.

How do I know if my Nichrome wire is heating up properly?

You can test the heat output of your Nichrome wire by using a thermometer or by carefully touching the wire to see if it is warm. It is important to monitor the temperature and not let the wire get too hot, as it can become a fire hazard.

Are there any precautions I should take when heating Nichrome wire with a 9.6V battery?

Yes, it is important to handle Nichrome wire with caution and avoid touching it when it is hot. It is also important to use a battery with the correct voltage and to make sure the wire is not wrapped too tightly, as this can cause it to overheat and potentially start a fire.