Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nid help

1. May 8, 2009 #1
    When the day before yesterday was reffered to as the day after tomorrow, the day that was then called yesterday was as far away from the day we now call tomorrow as yesterday is from the day on which we shall now be able to speak of last monday as a week ago yesterday.

WHAT DAY IS IT?

NEED EXPLINATION.

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2009 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is it this week's tuesday?

4. May 8, 2009 #3
    need explination.

5. May 8, 2009 #4
    actually thursday is the correct answer. and i want to know why thursday, i dont get it.

6. May 8, 2009 #5

neu

You're starting on friday right?

7. May 8, 2009 #6
    Nope, today must be Thursday for the statement to make sense. The way to understand it is to parse the sentence and determine when each day is relative to today.

The steps are hidden below (select the text to view it):

1. yesterday = -1
    2. the day before yesterday = -2
    3. When the day before yesterday was referred to as the day after tomorrow = -4
    4. the day that was then called yesterday = -5
    5. tomorrow = +1
    6. "was as far from" - difference = -6 days
    7. the day on which we shall now be able to speak of last monday as a week ago yesterday = next Tuesday (just think about it - it has to be one week + one day from last Monday)

So the difference between yesterday and next Tuesday is -6 days, so yesterday was Wednesday, and today is Thursday.

- Bruce

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  8. May 8, 2009 #7

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ah, right, I got the difference as -7 and forgot that it only gives you yesterday, not today. That's why I was off by 2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook