1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nigerian Who Really Needs A Better Science Facility

1. Sep 11, 2005 #1
    I Am A Nigerian Who Really Needs A Better Science Facility,to Upgrade My Life As A Scientist.i Am Aged 16 And I Need A Scholarship To Help Me Study Abroad Since The Educational System In Nigeria Is Pretty Dull.
    With All Modesty, I Have Been Able To Surpass My Mates Here In Nigeria,and I Promise To Be Better If Given The Chance.
    Any One With A Web Where I Could Get A Scholarship To The U.s Could Send To Me.all Help Will Be Appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2005 #2
  4. Sep 11, 2005 #3
    It is not 1600 anymore. Now it is 2400.

5. Sep 11, 2005 #4
    I'm glad it was super easy when I took it. Now I hear you have to write essays and junk? Wow...

PL

6. Sep 11, 2005 #5
    it was junk before, when you had to do analogies and what not. Maybe I was just too dumb to score more than 1300.

7. Sep 11, 2005 #6
    Har har har! I got a 1330. :P

The analogies totally killed me. Mostly because I picked the right answer, but there was another answer that was more right than the one I picked, therefore I was still wrong. =/

PL

8. Sep 12, 2005 #7
    Har har har! I got a 1570. :P

It did take me two tries, though. (My first time was a 1480). Now, if only I hadn't gotten those three verbal questions wrong... :)

9. Sep 13, 2005 #8
    Universities don't even check your SAT I scores when you transfer over, right? What a waste of time for me. :(

PL

10. Sep 13, 2005 #9
    Yes, they do.

11. Sep 13, 2005 #10

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

1310- I'm in college now so that score worked for me lol. My problem was those analogies and doing math at 8 AM. After 10 I'm a math wiz but before then I'm lucky if i could distinguish a greater than sign from a less than sign :)

12. Sep 14, 2005 #11
    Any Other Web Other Than Collegeboard,where I Wil Get A Scholarship?

13. Sep 14, 2005 #12
    international scholarships are very hard to come by, your best bet is to do the SAT, then apply to a private school. Most private schools (and maybe some public) offer merit-based scholarships to anyone.

14. Sep 19, 2005 #13
    www.fastweb.com it's a really great website that help u to look for scholarships!

15. Sep 19, 2005 #14
    A lot of schools will give you a scholarship if you are accepted. These schools admit anyone who they think is qualified, and then make sure they have enough money to go there.

16. Sep 19, 2005 #15

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

For undergraduates? Really! Where exactly are these schools?

Zz.

17. Sep 19, 2005 #16
    Maybe I should have used different wording than "qualified". I'm talking about the schools which accept a low percentage of people(like Cornell University) and do not discriminate against financial status.

Quote from Cornell's website
    "Cornell follows a need-blind admission policy and guarantees to meet the financial need of students who are accepted by the university."

EDIT: I guess I should have also used a different word than scholarship. :uhh:

18. Sep 19, 2005 #17

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

.. and how many such schools do the same thing like cornell ? I would simply point to the yearly endowment that cornell gets, which exceeds the GNP of many small countries, and then ask how many others are like that?

Zz.

19. Sep 19, 2005 #18
    The poster of this thread seems to want a "better" university than most universities. Someone suggested to get a 1600 on the SAT's. Now, which is more probable, to get into a prestigious school and receive financial aid, or get a 1600 on the SAT? That's beside the point anyway, if the poster wants to go to a better school, financial status shouldn't be too much of an issue if accepted. Scholarships aren't the only ways to pay for college. I know that you know more than me on this subject, but I am simply trying to clarify myself.

20. Sep 19, 2005 #19

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Remember that you claim that "A lot of schools will give you a scholarship if you are accepted."

This gives the impression that such a practice is prevalent. Nothing could be further than the truth. Cornell is a very rare exception. Furthermore, as in international student, his ability to obtain "free" undergraduate tuition is even more severely limited.

I hate to think people would walk away with the impression that such "scholarship" are plentyful and automatic and "a lot" of schools.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?