Nigerian Who Really Needs A Better Science Facility

• Thread starter mathelord
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Science
In summary, a 16-year-old Nigerian student is seeking a scholarship to study abroad due to the lack of quality science facilities and educational system in his country. He has demonstrated exceptional academic abilities and is determined to excel given the opportunity. He is looking for a scholarship to the US and has been advised to take the SAT and score high in order to secure a large scholarship. Other websites and options for finding scholarships have been suggested, but it is noted that financial aid is not the only way to pay for college and that obtaining a scholarship is not guaranteed.
mathelord
I Am A Nigerian Who Really Needs A Better Science Facility,to Upgrade My Life As A Scientist.i Am Aged 16 And I Need A Scholarship To Help Me Study Abroad Since The Educational System In Nigeria Is Pretty Dull.
With All Modesty, I Have Been Able To Surpass My Mates Here In Nigeria,and I Promise To Be Better If Given The Chance.
Any One With A Web Where I Could Get A Scholarship To The U.s Could Send To Me.all Help Will Be Appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is not 1600 anymore. Now it is 2400.

I'm glad it was super easy when I took it. Now I hear you have to write essays and junk? Wow...

PL

it was junk before, when you had to do analogies and what not. Maybe I was just too dumb to score more than 1300.

Har har har! I got a 1330. :P

The analogies totally killed me. Mostly because I picked the right answer, but there was another answer that was more right than the one I picked, therefore I was still wrong. =/

PL

Poop-Loops said:
Har har har! I got a 1330. :P

The analogies totally killed me. Mostly because I picked the right answer, but there was another answer that was more right than the one I picked, therefore I was still wrong. =/

PL
Har har har! I got a 1570. :P

It did take me two tries, though. (My first time was a 1480). Now, if only I hadn't gotten those three verbal questions wrong... :)

Universities don't even check your SAT I scores when you transfer over, right? What a waste of time for me. :(

PL

Yes, they do.

1310- I'm in college now so that score worked for me lol. My problem was those analogies and doing math at 8 AM. After 10 I'm a math wiz but before then I'm lucky if i could distinguish a greater than sign from a less than sign :)

Any Other Web Other Than Collegeboard,where I Wil Get A Scholarship?

international scholarships are very hard to come by, your best bet is to do the SAT, then apply to a private school. Most private schools (and maybe some public) offer merit-based scholarships to anyone.

www.fastweb.com it's a really great website that help u to look for scholarships!

A lot of schools will give you a scholarship if you are accepted. These schools admit anyone who they think is qualified, and then make sure they have enough money to go there.

moose said:
A lot of schools will give you a scholarship if you are accepted. These schools admit anyone who they think is qualified, and then make sure they have enough money to go there.

For undergraduates? Really! Where exactly are these schools?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
For undergraduates? Really! Where exactly are these schools?

Zz.

Maybe I should have used different wording than "qualified". I'm talking about the schools which accept a low percentage of people(like Cornell University) and do not discriminate against financial status.

Quote from Cornell's website
"Cornell follows a need-blind admission policy and guarantees to meet the financial need of students who are accepted by the university."

EDIT: I guess I should have also used a different word than scholarship. :uhh:

.. and how many such schools do the same thing like cornell ? I would simply point to the yearly endowment that cornell gets, which exceeds the GNP of many small countries, and then ask how many others are like that?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
.. and how many such schools do the same thing like cornell ? I would simply point to the yearly endowment that cornell gets, which exceeds the GNP of many small countries, and then ask how many others are like that?

Zz.

The poster of this thread seems to want a "better" university than most universities. Someone suggested to get a 1600 on the SAT's. Now, which is more probable, to get into a prestigious school and receive financial aid, or get a 1600 on the SAT? That's beside the point anyway, if the poster wants to go to a better school, financial status shouldn't be too much of an issue if accepted. Scholarships aren't the only ways to pay for college. I know that you know more than me on this subject, but I am simply trying to clarify myself.

moose said:
The poster of this thread seems to want a "better" university than most universities. Someone suggested to get a 1600 on the SAT's. Now, which is more probable, to get into a prestigious school and receive financial aid, or get a 1600 on the SAT? That's beside the point anyway, if the poster wants to go to a better school, financial status shouldn't be too much of an issue if accepted. Scholarships aren't the only ways to pay for college. I know that you know more than me on this subject, but I am simply trying to clarify myself.

Remember that you claim that "A lot of schools will give you a scholarship if you are accepted."

This gives the impression that such a practice is prevalent. Nothing could be further than the truth. Cornell is a very rare exception. Furthermore, as in international student, his ability to obtain "free" undergraduate tuition is even more severely limited.

I hate to think people would walk away with the impression that such "scholarship" are plentyful and automatic and "a lot" of schools.

Zz.

What is the current state of science facilities in Nigeria?

The current state of science facilities in Nigeria is inadequate and in need of improvement. Many schools and universities lack proper equipment and resources for conducting scientific research, which hinders the progress of the country's scientific development.

How does this impact the scientific community in Nigeria?

The lack of proper science facilities in Nigeria has a significant impact on the scientific community. It limits the opportunities for conducting high-quality research and hinders the advancement of knowledge and discoveries in various fields of science. It also limits the potential for Nigerian scientists to compete globally and contribute to the international scientific community.

What efforts are being made to improve science facilities in Nigeria?

The Nigerian government, in collaboration with international organizations, has made efforts to improve science facilities in the country. These efforts include investing in new equipment and infrastructure, providing funding for scientific research, and promoting partnerships with other countries to share resources and expertise.

What are the benefits of having better science facilities in Nigeria?

Having better science facilities in Nigeria will bring numerous benefits to the country. It will attract more scientists and researchers, both local and international, to conduct research in Nigeria. This will lead to new discoveries and innovations, which can contribute to the country's economic growth and development. It will also provide better educational opportunities for students and help bridge the gap between theory and practical application in science education.

What can individuals do to support the improvement of science facilities in Nigeria?

Individuals can support the improvement of science facilities in Nigeria by advocating for increased government funding for science education and research, volunteering at local schools and universities to share their knowledge and resources, and donating to organizations that work towards improving science facilities in the country. Additionally, individuals can support and encourage young people, especially girls, to pursue careers in science and technology, which will contribute to the country's scientific development in the long run.