Solve Integral: Nightmare | x*ln(x+sqrt{1+x^2})

• Thread starter Vereinsamt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary: This can be found in many calculus textbooks or online.Another option is to use the quadratic formula, which can be found in most calculus textbooks or online.In summary, one possible substitution is x=Sinh(u), and the other is using the quadratic formula.
Vereinsamt
Hi all,
I need ur help with this integral
[tex]\int\frac{x*ln(x+sqrt{1+x^2}*dx} {sqrt{1+x^2} [/tex]
maybe its about substitution but how?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Vereinsamt said:
Hi all,
I need ur help with this integral
[tex]\int\frac{xln(x+\sqrt{1+x^2})} {\sqrt{1+x^2}}dx[/tex]
maybe its about substitution but how?
Did you mean that?

Last edited:
exactly :)

At first glance, integration by parts seems best, with [tex]\frac{dv}{dx}=\frac{x}{\sqrt{1+x^{2}}}[/tex]

It seems to me that there are two obvious substitutions to try. Have you tried anything yet?

Not to mention IBP -- you've surely seen how to do the integrals of x ln x and ln x by now, and seen the theme there?

Last edited:
arildno said:
At first glance, integration by parts seems best, with [tex]\frac{dv}{dx}=\frac{x}{\sqrt{1+x^{2}}}[/tex]

by doing this I got

[tex]\int{udv}=ln(x+t)t-\int\frac{(2t+1)xdx} {x+t}[/tex]
where [tex]t=\sqrt{1+x^2}[/tex]

is it right? and how then?

Last edited:
Incorrect!
We have:
[tex]\frac{dt}{dx}=\frac{x}{t}[/tex]
Thus, your last integral is:
[tex]\int\frac{t(1+\frac{x}{t})}{x+t}dx=\int{dx}[/tex]

Hurkyl said:
It seems to me that there are two obvious substitutions to try. Have you tried anything yet?

Not to mention IBP -- you've surely seen how to do the integrals of x ln x and ln x by now, and seen the theme there?

I am a self-study and new to calculus and have no experience, so I hope u explain more about ur point

I am a self-study and new to calculus and have no experience, so I hope u explain more about ur point
One of them relies on trigonometric substitution -- I suppose if you haven't gotten that far, then the relevant substitution would not be obvious. :smile:

The other one stems from the fact you (presumably) know how to integrate things that look like "ln x", but not "ln [something other than a plain ordinary x]". So, one obvious thing to try is to do something that will turn "ln [something other than a plain ordinary x]" into something akin to "ln x".

Last edited:
arildno said:
Incorrect!
We have:
[tex]\frac{dt}{dx}=\frac{x}{t}[/tex]
Thus, your last integral is:
[tex]\int\frac{t(1+\frac{x}{t})}{x+t}dx=\int{dx}[/tex]

yes. there was an error in deffirentiating ln.
I appiciate ur help arildno :)
anyway what about other interesting methods?

thanx alot

Well, you might try the substitution x=Sinh(u), where Sinh() is the hyperbolic sine function.

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the area under a curve in a graph. It is also known as antiderivative, as it is the reverse process of differentiation.

2. How do you solve an integral?

To solve an integral, you need to use integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric substitution. You also need to have a good understanding of the fundamental theorem of calculus and basic integration rules.

3. What does the "ln" in the integral mean?

The "ln" in the integral represents the natural logarithm function. It is the inverse of the exponential function and is commonly used in calculus to solve problems involving exponential growth and decay.

4. Why is x*ln(x+sqrt{1+x^2}) considered a nightmare to solve?

This integral is considered a nightmare because it does not have a simple closed-form solution. It requires advanced integration techniques and can be very time-consuming and complex to solve.

5. Is it possible to solve this integral without using advanced techniques?

No, it is not possible to solve this integral without using advanced techniques. It is a difficult integral that requires knowledge of advanced integration methods and cannot be solved using basic integration rules.