Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nightowls ?

1. Yes, I am and I really enjoy staying up

14 vote(s)
    63.6%
  2. Yes, but I am forced to do so

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. No, I prefer sleeping at night and don't want my biological clock to be disturbed

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  4. No, but I would like to try

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. Jun 12, 2003 #1
    I guess quite a number of PF members are nightowls, see if I'm right.

A question for those who are nightowls, why do you like to stay up at night?
    For those who aren't, why don't you like staying up at night?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2003
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2003 #2
    later this summer i was planning on going nocturnal. as of now my sleep cycle is normal though.

4. Jun 12, 2003 #3

LURCH

Science Advisor

I have to get up at 5:30 every morning for work. But left to my 'druthers, I go nocturnal pretty quickly.

5. Jun 12, 2003 #4
    Sometimes I get up at 5:30am, have breakfast and get on PF, and go to school at 7am.

Sometimes I sleep very early and get up very early, say getting up at 00:00 or 2am and do homework or revision.

I haven't had a stable time table for quite a long time. :wink:

I like staying up and enjoy the quietness. At about 4am, I can hear birds starting to sing outside, which indicates that I need to finish my work as soon as possible.

Last night, I slept at about 8pm, got up at 00:00. At 5am, I slept again and got up at 6am.

6. Jun 12, 2003 #5
    I goto bed around 1:30am and get up at 9:00am, works for me.

7. Jun 12, 2003 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My sleeping patterns are terrible; even non-existent. My work often has me shifting between west coast and east coast time zones, as well as early schedules, late schedules, and mostly no schedules. However, if left to my natural tendencies, I would stay up all night and sleep all day. I have always been this way. This "liability" actually helps me to perform in the wee hours of the night while those around me begin to wither and whine. In fact, I have done much my best work, both academically and professionally, at 3:00 AM.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2003
  8. Jun 12, 2003 #7

megashawn

Science Advisor

I work 2nd shift, but so I don't get of work until night. However, I consider myself an all around the clocker. Sometimes I get home, and stay up until 5 am. Sometimes I go strait to bed, and get up around 7 am. Depends on my plans which change constantly.

So I cannot vote.

9. Jun 12, 2003 #8
    Well, I am a Nightowl, but I'm not forced and I don't choose it. It just happens that way. I still voted the first choice, since I do enjoy my time awake at night.

10. Jun 12, 2003 #9
    I don't enjoy staying up, I just don't get tired[zz)]

I got a job with the state for the summer though, and that works me about 12 and a half each day.....so I'm going to bed around 10ish or so every night!

11. Jun 12, 2003 #10

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I generally work graveyard (6pm-6am) but currently am working the day side. (6am-6pm) I HATE THAT ALARM CLOCK!

12. Jun 13, 2003 #11
    I prefer to sleep regulare midnight to 8AM or 9AM hours but from time to time (about 2-3 times a week) I may stay up until 1-3AM. Not necessarily by choice, I'm simply awake and can't fall asleep and so I get up and find something to do until my body's ready to pass out.

Once every 6 or so months I might even stay up all night go to work and stay up until midnight before I hit the sack. Usually I hate it when that happens, but I just can't seem to fall asleep until 12 midnigth or later sometimes. It must be psychological.

13. Jun 13, 2003 #12
    Nightowl?

Nocturnal?

Biological clock?

Time enough for sleep in the grave.

I guess this makes me Diurnal? :P

No rest for the weary...

14. Jun 13, 2003 #13
    i have no sense of a circadian cycle what so ever. i go to sleep when i collapse. and wake up when i can be bothered.

15. Jun 13, 2003 #14

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I once had a math professor who put the class on notice on day one. She introduced herself, took roll, and then she said handed out a class schedule and said, "you can sleep when you die, but for now you're mine"

16. Jun 13, 2003 #15
    kinda scarry for a math professor......

I can't fall asleep until 1:00- 2:00 am. This is pretty nasty since I go to work at 8:am.
    But I catch up in week-end.....

17. Jun 13, 2003 #16
    Yeah, this is also my sleeping philosophy. Sometimes I feel I'm wasting my time when I sleep too much. Besides, I can't sleep too long, say 11 hours, otherwise I'll have headache.

I think there are mainly 2 kinds of people, one of them like sleeping at night and work well before mid-night. The other one can only do well after mid-night and they like staying up. I belong to the second group and I find it hard to concentrate well before mid-night. It's kinda strange coz we humans need to rest in complete darkness for the sake of our health. Perhaps our habit has changed after the invention of light.

Sometimes I sleep at my desk to avoid oversleeping. Sometimes alarm clocks/devices at my room ring more than 20 times a night so as to wake me up to do my work. It sounds crazy! I scartter my alarm clocks(I only have three, including my mobile phone) everywhere in my room so I need to get out of bed and search where the sounds come from before I can switch them off. It sounds like an effective way but it doesn't work now.

18. Jun 13, 2003 #17
    I wish I could get 11 hours of sleep. My biological clock, however, tends to get me up after 8 or 9 hours.

This never worked for me. The alarm goes off and I just go on sleeping. Sometimes the alarm goes off and I never even heard it -- maybe it was a siren in my dreams. Come to think of it, there was a time a fire engine came to our neighborhood with sirens blaring in the middle of the night. According to everyone at home, they all got up, but I just kept on sleeping.

19. Jun 15, 2003 #18
    to me, and most ordinary Chinese people, go to bed after 0:00 is incredible. It means you can't keep healthy and energic in the day time.
    How do you all night owl keep your energy in the day time?

20. Jun 15, 2003 #19
    Hi Chaoszen and welcome to PF.
    Well, if you always have loads of work to do and you feel like you never have time to finish them, as time goes by, you will end up to be a nightowl.

Well, sometimes I do feel extremely exhausted and sleep in class sometimes(teachers give us breaks to rest sometimes). To restore energy, a good sleep is essential. :smile: As you can see my final exam is around a corner, how can I sleep early if you still have piles of notes to study, tons of homework to be finished and stresses that need to be faced?

As I've said in my second last post, I think there are mainly 2 kinds of people. One of them like staying up and can do things better at night, the other type is just the opposite.

I think you are on vacation now as school term has finished, why not try to stay up and experience how it feels :wink:

21. Jun 15, 2003 #20
    well,stress.
    I thought american student didn't have much home work to do and can enjoy themselvs in the various social activity.
    but what about Chinese students' stress, maybe more than this.
    mountains of practice and homework.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?