Solving Nilpotent Matrices: Invertibility of I+N

• Thread starter angelz429
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrices
In summary, the conversation discusses using the McLaurin series for 1/(1+x) to show that I + N is invertible, where N is a nilpotent matrix. The steps involve finding the MacLaurin series for 1/(1+x), substituting N for x, and using the nilpotency of N to manipulate the series. Ultimately, it is shown that the inverse of I+N, which is 1/(1+N), converges and therefore proves that I + N is invertible.
angelz429
[SOLVED] Nilpotent matrices

Homework Statement

Use the McLaurin series for 1/(1+x) to show that I + N is invertible where N is a nilpotent matrix.

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

It has something to do with the inverse of 1+x is 1/(1+x), but I'm lost. I'm not sure where to start nor what exactly I need to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
You might want to start with the hint and find the McLaurin series for 1/(1+x).

Ok, I understand that I need to start with the maclaurin series, and I've done that, but I'm not sure what that shows me.

You might want to show us what you found for the MacLaurin series so we can make sure you are finding the correct thing. Then substitute N for x. What else? What does the nilpotency of N tell you about the infinite MacLaurin series?

ok well we know:
P(n) = 1 + x + ... + x^n
xP(n) = x + x^2 + ... + x^n + x^(n+1)

(x-1)P(n)=x^(n+1)-1

P(n) = x^(n+1)-1/(x-1) goes to -1/(x-1) = 1/(1-x) <== close to 1/(1+x)

if you use -x, P(n)= 1/(1+x)

because the MacLaurin series for 1/(1+x)
f(x) = f(0) + f'(0)x + f''(0)x^2 + ...
f(x) = 1 + x + x^2 + ...

The MacLaurin series for 1/(1-x)=1+x+x^2+x^3+x^4+..., yes. Doesn't that make the series for 1/(1+x)=1-x+x^2-x^3+x^4-...?? Taking x->-x, just as you said?

yes...
Let P(n) = 1-x+x^2-x^3+x^4-...+x^n
xP(n) = x-x^2+....-x^n+x^(n+1)

add them
(x+1)P(n)=1+x^(n+1)

therefore P(n)=1+x^(n+1)/(x+1) which goes to 1/(1+x)

angelz429 said:
yes...
Let P(n) = 1-x+x^2-x^3+x^4-...+x^n
xP(n) = x-x^2+....-x^n+x^(n+1)

add them
(x+1)P(n)=1+x^(n+1)

therefore P(n)=1+x^(n+1)/(x+1) which goes to 1/(1+x)

Ok, so what happens when x is the nilpotent matrix N??

P(n) approaches 1/(1+0) = 1

so how does this show that I + N is invertible?

angelz429 said:
so how does this show that I + N is invertible?

The inverse of I+N is 1/(I+N). Does the MacLaurin expansion converge??

Thanks!

1. What is a nilpotent matrix?

A nilpotent matrix is a square matrix where some power of the matrix is equal to the zero matrix. This means that when the matrix is multiplied by itself a certain number of times, it will eventually result in a matrix with all elements equal to zero.

2. How do you determine the invertibility of a nilpotent matrix?

The invertibility of a nilpotent matrix depends on the value of the nilpotent index, which is the smallest number of times the matrix needs to be multiplied by itself to result in the zero matrix. If the nilpotent index is 1, the matrix is not invertible. If the nilpotent index is greater than 1, the matrix may be invertible.

3. What is the relationship between the nilpotent index and the eigenvalues of a nilpotent matrix?

The nilpotent index is equal to the number of zero eigenvalues of a nilpotent matrix. This means that for a nilpotent matrix with a nilpotent index of n, there will be n zero eigenvalues.

4. Can a nilpotent matrix be diagonalized?

Yes, a nilpotent matrix can be diagonalized if and only if all its eigenvalues are equal to zero. In this case, the diagonal form of the matrix will consist of all zeros.

5. How is the invertibility of a nilpotent matrix related to its matrix exponential?

If a nilpotent matrix has a nilpotent index of n, then its matrix exponential can be written as a finite sum of matrices, where each matrix in the sum is raised to the power of k and k ranges from 0 to n-1. This means that the matrix exponential of a nilpotent matrix is always invertible, as it is a sum of invertible matrices.