Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Nilpotent operator or not given characteristic polynomial?

1. Mar 4, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose [itex]T:V \rightarrow V [/itex] has characteristic polynomial [itex] p_{T}(t) = (-1)^{n}t^n[/itex].
    (a) Are all such operators nilpotent? Prove or give a counterexample.
    (b) Does the nature of the ground field [itex]\textbf{F}[/itex] matter in answering this question?

2. Relevant equations
    Nilpotent operators have a characteristic polynomial of the form in the problem statement, and [itex]\lambda=0[/itex] is the only eigenvalue over any field [itex]\textbf{F}[/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution
    I originally thought that any linear transformation with the given characteristic polynomial would therefore have a block upper or lower triangular form with zeros on the diagonals, and therefore be nilpotent. But I'm confused by part (b), and the more I think about it, I'm not sure how to rule out that another more complex matrix representation of a non-nilpotent transformation might have the same form. And I have no idea how the choice of the field affects it. The very fact that they asked part (b) makes me think it does depend on the field, but I can't figure out why.

2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted