Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Nilpotent Operator

1. Mar 27, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If T is a nilpotent transformation from V -> V, V - finite dimensional vector space.

show that [tex]a_{0}+a_{1}T+\cdots+a_{k}T^{k}[/tex] is invertible. [tex]a_{0}[/tex] nonzero.

Im having trouble finding the inverse, I know for 1+T+[tex]\cdots[/tex]+T[tex]^{m-1}[/tex]

the inverse is (1-T),where T[tex]^{m}[/tex]=0. I also tried [tex]a_{0}^{-1}T^{m-1}[/tex]
    but this gives me [tex]T^{m-1}[/tex]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Write that as -a0*I=a_1*T+a_2*T^2+...+a_k*T^k. Is that enough of a hint? If not notice the right side has a common factor.

4. Mar 27, 2008 #3
    I see that it shows T to be invertible but how does it show that the original polynomial

is invertible?

5. Mar 27, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Good point. I was solving the wrong problem.

6. Mar 27, 2008 #5

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay, so you figured to annihilate all of the terms of your polynomial except the T^{k-1} term. What else can you annihilate?

7. Mar 27, 2008 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you are going to have a hard time expressing an answer in closed form in terms of the a_i's. But think of it this way. If P is your polynomial, then P=a0+Q where Q is the rest of the terms. Can you show Q is nilpotent? Does that suggest how to invert a0+Q?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook