How can you find the inverse of a polynomial with a nilpotent operator?

• Thread starter johnson123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Operator
In summary, we are trying to show that the polynomial a_{0}+a_{1}T+\cdots+a_{k}T^{k} is invertible, given that T is a nilpotent transformation from a finite dimensional vector space V to itself. After trying various approaches, we realize that the polynomial can be rewritten as a_{0}+Q, where Q is the rest of the terms. By showing that Q is nilpotent, we can then use this knowledge to invert a_{0}+Q, thus proving that the original polynomial is indeed invertible.
johnson123

Homework Statement

If T is a nilpotent transformation from V -> V, V - finite dimensional vector space.

show that [tex]a_{0}+a_{1}T+\cdots+a_{k}T^{k}[/tex] is invertible. [tex]a_{0}[/tex] nonzero.

Im having trouble finding the inverse, I know for 1+T+[tex]\cdots[/tex]+T[tex]^{m-1}[/tex]

the inverse is (1-T),where T[tex]^{m}[/tex]=0. I also tried [tex]a_{0}^{-1}T^{m-1}[/tex]
but this gives me [tex]T^{m-1}[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Write that as -a0*I=a_1*T+a_2*T^2+...+a_k*T^k. Is that enough of a hint? If not notice the right side has a common factor.

I see that it shows T to be invertible but how does it show that the original polynomial

is invertible?

johnson123 said:
I see that it shows T to be invertible but how does it show that the original polynomial

is invertible?

Good point. I was solving the wrong problem.

johnson123 said:
I also tried [tex]a_{0}^{-1}T^{k-1}[/tex]
but this gives me [tex]T^{k-1}[/tex]
Okay, so you figured to annihilate all of the terms of your polynomial except the T^{k-1} term. What else can you annihilate?

I think you are going to have a hard time expressing an answer in closed form in terms of the a_i's. But think of it this way. If P is your polynomial, then P=a0+Q where Q is the rest of the terms. Can you show Q is nilpotent? Does that suggest how to invert a0+Q?

1. What is a nilpotent operator?

A nilpotent operator is a linear operator that when raised to a certain power, becomes the zero operator. This means that there exists a positive integer n such that the nth power of the operator is equal to the zero operator.

2. What are some examples of nilpotent operators?

Some common examples of nilpotent operators include the zero operator, the identity operator, and the forward difference operator.

3. What is the significance of nilpotent operators in mathematics?

Nilpotent operators play an important role in linear algebra and functional analysis. They are useful in studying matrix and vector spaces, as well as in solving differential equations and other mathematical problems.

4. How do you determine if an operator is nilpotent?

To determine if an operator is nilpotent, you can raise it to different powers and check if the result is always the zero operator. If there exists a positive integer n such that the nth power of the operator is equal to the zero operator, then the operator is nilpotent.

5. Can a non-square matrix be a nilpotent operator?

No, a non-square matrix cannot be a nilpotent operator. This is because only square matrices can be raised to different powers, and therefore, only square matrices can be nilpotent.