1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nilpotent Operator

1. Mar 27, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If T is a nilpotent transformation from V -> V, V - finite dimensional vector space.

show that [tex]a_{0}+a_{1}T+\cdots+a_{k}T^{k}[/tex] is invertible. [tex]a_{0}[/tex] nonzero.

Im having trouble finding the inverse, I know for 1+T+[tex]\cdots[/tex]+T[tex]^{m-1}[/tex]

the inverse is (1-T),where T[tex]^{m}[/tex]=0. I also tried [tex]a_{0}^{-1}T^{m-1}[/tex]
    but this gives me [tex]T^{m-1}[/tex]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Write that as -a0*I=a_1*T+a_2*T^2+...+a_k*T^k. Is that enough of a hint? If not notice the right side has a common factor.

4. Mar 27, 2008 #3
    I see that it shows T to be invertible but how does it show that the original polynomial

is invertible?

5. Mar 27, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Good point. I was solving the wrong problem.

6. Mar 27, 2008 #5

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay, so you figured to annihilate all of the terms of your polynomial except the T^{k-1} term. What else can you annihilate?

7. Mar 27, 2008 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you are going to have a hard time expressing an answer in closed form in terms of the a_i's. But think of it this way. If P is your polynomial, then P=a0+Q where Q is the rest of the terms. Can you show Q is nilpotent? Does that suggest how to invert a0+Q?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?