1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nilpotent operators, matrix

1. May 7, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that any square triangular matrix with each diagonal entry equal to zero is nilpotent

3. The attempt at a solution
    Drawing out the matrix and multiplying seems a little tedious. Perhaps there is a better way?
    Is there another way to do this without assuming that the eigenvalues of a nilpotent operator are all 0?

Thanks for your help!
  2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

This might not be the easiest way, but trying a few examples shows that as you raise the matrix to higher powers, the zeros creep up towards the top-right corner one space at a time. This suggests trying to prove a stronger result, that if Aij=0 for i>j-k and Bij=0 for i>j-l, then (AB)ij=0 for i>j-k-l (or something like that).
    Last edited: May 7, 2007
  4. May 8, 2007 #3

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Since it is triangular with zero diagonal you know the eigenvalues are all 0, thus you know the min poly is x^n for some n. Why are you 'assuming' that the eigenvalues of a nilpotent operator are all 0? It is clearly true (over a field), and isn't important for this question, really (you state you don't want to assume nilpotent implies all e-values 0, but we actually need all e-values 0 implies nilpotent).
    Last edited: May 8, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?