1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nilpotent What is its index?

1. Mar 29, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A square(nxn) matrix is called nilpotent of index k if A[tex]\neq[/tex]0, A^2[tex]\neq[/tex]0,....A^(k-1)[tex]\neq[/tex]0, But A^k=0 for some positive integer K

Verify that A={{{021,002,000}}} is nilpotent. What is its index? Show that for this matrix (I-A)-1= I + A + A^2

3. The attempt at a solution

I am unsure how different values of k affects the matrix... but For the equation (I-A)-1= I + A + A^2, I found the inverse of (I-A) which was {{{125,012,001}}}, which then gave me A^2 as {{{004,000,001}}}.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You got the inverse of (I-A) ok. I'm assuming by A2 you mean A^2 (i.e. A squared, A times A). That didn't come out right. To find the index of A just keep computing successive powers A until you get zero. What is the index? To show (I-A)^(-1)=(I+A+A^2) you just want to show (I-A)*(I+A+A^2)=I. To do that you don't even need the numerical value of A once you've found it's index.

4. Mar 29, 2008 #3
    Thanks alot! I figured out A^3=0 so im assuming the nilpotent matrix is of index 3.
    I'm not sure how you managed to get the equation "(I-A)*(I+A+A^2)=I." I just did I=(I-A)^-1 -A - A^2. Would that also be suitable?

5. Mar 29, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You've got the index too. So A^3=0. If C^(-1)=D then that just means C*D=I. So to check if (I-A)^(-1)=(I+A+A^2) just check whether (I-A)*(I+A+A^2)=I. That's where I got it. To check that just multiply that expression out. Remembering A^3=0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?