Calculate Nip Roller Torque for T1=10 lbs and T2=20 lbs

In summary, the conversation discusses the torque in each driven roller in a picture, where the input tension is 10 lbs and the output tension is 20 lbs. The speaker is having trouble understanding how each nip isolates input and output tension and is seeking help to determine the torque for each nip. The summary also mentions that the torque on a roller is equal to the difference in tension on either side, and that the tension force in the material can be interpreted as a torque of the roller radius. Additionally, the speaker reminds to pay attention to the signs of the tensions.
tomizzo
I'm wondering if someone could help me. I'm curious what the torque in each driven roller would be in the following picture.

ReGYoVm.png

Say for example I want the input tension(T1) to be 10 lbs and the output tension(T2) to be 20 pounds. Assume the radius for each driven nip is the same. Also assume there is a brake upstream somewhere. I am having difficulties in figuring out what the torque would be for each of the nips. I don't care about the speed of each nip but am only curious about the torque. I just don't understand how each nip isolates input and output tension. Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
The torque on the roller is equal to the difference in tension on either side of a roller.
The tension force in the material is parallel to and equivalent to surface force on the roller, which can be interpreted as a torque of roller radius pounds.
If the output tension is zero,
then S2 = T2
and T2 = T1 + S1 etc
Make sure you get the signs correct.

What is the formula for calculating nip roller torque?

The formula for calculating nip roller torque is T = (T1 + T2)/2, where T1 and T2 are the tensions on either side of the nip roller.

How do I convert the tensions from pounds to Newtons?

To convert the tensions from pounds to Newtons, simply multiply the tension in pounds by 4.448 to get the tension in Newtons.

What is the unit of measurement for nip roller torque?

The unit of measurement for nip roller torque is Newton-meters (N·m).

What happens if the tensions on both sides of the nip roller are not equal?

If the tensions on both sides of the nip roller are not equal, the nip roller will experience a torque which can cause it to rotate and potentially affect the tension of the material being fed through it.

Can nip roller torque be negative?

Yes, nip roller torque can be negative if the tension on one side of the nip roller is greater than the tension on the other side, resulting in a negative torque value.