1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nip Roller Torque

1. Aug 20, 2013 #1
    I'm wondering if someone could help me. I'm curious what the torque in each driven roller would be in the following picture.

ReGYoVm.png

Say for example I want the input tension(T1) to be 10 lbs and the output tension(T2) to be 20 pounds. Assume the radius for each driven nip is the same. Also assume there is a brake upstream somewhere. I am having difficulties in figuring out what the torque would be for each of the nips. I don't care about the speed of each nip but am only curious about the torque. I just don't understand how each nip isolates input and output tension. Any help?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2013 #2

Baluncore

Science Advisor

The torque on the roller is equal to the difference in tension on either side of a roller.
    The tension force in the material is parallel to and equivalent to surface force on the roller, which can be interpreted as a torque of roller radius pounds.
    If the output tension is zero,
    then S2 = T2
    and T2 = T1 + S1 etc
    Make sure you get the signs correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook