Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nip Roller Torque

1. Aug 20, 2013 #1
    I'm wondering if someone could help me. I'm curious what the torque in each driven roller would be in the following picture.

ReGYoVm.png

Say for example I want the input tension(T1) to be 10 lbs and the output tension(T2) to be 20 pounds. Assume the radius for each driven nip is the same. Also assume there is a brake upstream somewhere. I am having difficulties in figuring out what the torque would be for each of the nips. I don't care about the speed of each nip but am only curious about the torque. I just don't understand how each nip isolates input and output tension. Any help?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2013 #2

Baluncore

Science Advisor

The torque on the roller is equal to the difference in tension on either side of a roller.
    The tension force in the material is parallel to and equivalent to surface force on the roller, which can be interpreted as a torque of roller radius pounds.
    If the output tension is zero,
    then S2 = T2
    and T2 = T1 + S1 etc
    Make sure you get the signs correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook