Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

NIR Path Length Calculation

1. Dec 2, 2011 #1
    Hi everyone,

Yes Im a newbie here so forgive me if I dont ask the question correctly. I am trying to understand how to determine the minimal and maximum path length based on gas absorption.

I know this is based on Beer Lamberts Law but I am not sure which formulas to use and the order to use them. I appologize but I am not degreed in physics, but I have been a hobbist in spectroscopy and gas analysis for about 2 years.

In my thoughts I figured tat a minimal the following parameters must be considered.
    1. Path Length
    2. Gas (O2-760nms, 1% by volume)(range is .5% to 20%)
    3. Beam Diameter
    4. Pressure
    5.Temperature
    6. Tansmission

So if I did not ask correctly, I know the gas Im trying to measure, but not sure how to calculate what path length would be acceptable based on the sensitivity and range.

I am willing to do the work, just looking for some guidance here. Thank you in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2011 #2
    Could someone give me a hand here or tell me maybe I should ask this question on another Physics Forum Page? I hope I posted on the proper page. Thanks in advance.

4. Dec 6, 2011 #3
    Any help or direction would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

5. Dec 8, 2011 #4
    sure is hard to get help on this forum. Guess its too complicated for some.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook