1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nitrogen and vacuum

1. Feb 8, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two closed systems of the same size, temperature, and pressure. One is filled with pure nitrogen the other an atmospheric mix (nitrogen/oxygen/etc...throw in some moisture).

I want to evacuate both systems to 500 microns using equally sized vacuum pumps. Why will the pure nitrogen system evacuate quicker?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

My HVAC courses lightly touched on gas behavior. This scenario peaked my interest so I am seeking any explanation or direction to educational resources.

My uneducated guess is that it has to do with the densities equating to more or less work required of the vacuum pump thus change in time.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Water could be interesting: evacuation will cool the air, so water could condensate at the walls (depends on the temperature/pressure curve and the initial humidity). After a while, it will freeze (and slowly sublimate), with a possible boiling step in between.
    Nitrogen and oxygen are quite similar, and argon should not be an issue. CO2... depends on the temperature.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook