Highschool Nitrogen Laser Project

In summary, the student is trying to build a nitrogen laser, but is having trouble getting it to work. The laser appears to work fine with the C-clamps disconnected, but may not work properly with them connected. The student is looking for advice on how to fix the problem.
DaemonStudent
I don't know if this is the right place to post this but here goes. I'm a Highschool student building a nitrogen laser for an independent research project. I don't know much about lasers besides what I've read in physics textbooks and amateur laser pages. My and my mentor have already constructed the laser itself but we cannot get it to lase or arc in between the spark gap. We are using two aluminum plates for top plates, another aluminum plate for the common plate, polyethylene for the dielectric, a six turn copper inductor and a solid state transformer for the power supply. The power supply can arc by itself through a few cm's of air so we know that we are making enough voltage. When we connect the bottom and one of the top plates nothing happens except a high pitch noise from the power supply. Also no voltage is present in the plates when we probe it with a DMM. I'm pretty sure there aren't any shorts and my mentor has the slightest clue. Hopefully there are some laser experts...

Attachments

• IMG00021-20100107-1010.jpg
    IMG00021-20100107-1010.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 430
  • IMG00022-20100107-1011.jpg
    IMG00022-20100107-1011.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 393
  • IMG00023-20100107-1011.jpg
    IMG00023-20100107-1011.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 411
Engineering news on Phys.org
The power supply probably does not supply much current. Any leakage would probably effectively short the supply.

Wood is not a very good insulator if it is damp. High humidity might be enough. It appears that the C-clamps are only insulated by a piece of electrical tape. One or two pieces of electrical tape would likely short out at that voltage. A short though a hole in electrical tape would not necessarily be noticed at low currents. Can you operate it without the C-clamps at least for testing? Try using something other then wood and tape for insulation under the C-clamps. Replace the wood and tape with polyethylene sheet. Or, use a stack of plastic strips (4-5) cut from a soda bottle (PET is durable and a good insulator) under all of the C-clamps. The high voltage current will tend to "leak" on surfaces, so have the path between two high voltage points be a couple of inches.

This appears to be similar to a Scientific American Amateur Scientist article quite awhile ago. Might be good reading.

Last edited:

1. What is a nitrogen laser?

A nitrogen laser is a type of gas laser that uses nitrogen gas as the lasing medium. When an electrical discharge is applied to the gas, it produces a beam of light in the ultraviolet range.

2. How does a highschool nitrogen laser project work?

A highschool nitrogen laser project typically involves building a laser using a high-voltage power supply, a nitrogen gas-filled tube, and a series of mirrors to create a laser beam. The electrical discharge in the gas produces excited nitrogen molecules, which then emit photons of light as they return to their ground state. The mirrors are used to reflect and amplify the light, creating a coherent laser beam.

3. What materials are needed for a highschool nitrogen laser project?

The materials needed for a highschool nitrogen laser project include a high-voltage power supply, a nitrogen gas-filled tube, mirrors, and various electrical and safety equipment. Some projects may also require a laser power meter and other specialized tools.

4. Is a highschool nitrogen laser project safe?

As with any project involving electricity and high voltages, there are potential safety risks associated with a highschool nitrogen laser project. It is important to follow all safety precautions and use appropriate safety equipment, such as goggles and gloves, when working with the laser.

5. What are some potential applications of a highschool nitrogen laser project?

A highschool nitrogen laser project can be used for educational purposes, such as demonstrating the principles of laser technology and optics. It can also be used for scientific research and experimentation, such as studying the properties of laser light and its interaction with different materials. Additionally, nitrogen lasers have practical applications in fields such as medicine, communications, and manufacturing.