1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nitrogen Organic

1. Apr 25, 2005 #1
    Hi ppl, I have this question. I have the MF of a substance A : C7H7O2N. I have three pieces of info which should indicate a structural property of this substance:i) A reacts with sodium carbonate to give off CO2. I thought this might indicate an ionic structure? then ii) A will form a coloured complex ion with copper (II) cations. I didn't know what this suggested really I'm afraid and finally:iii) A is unable to undergo addition reactions easily. Could someone help me with this?

Thanks, Joe

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ortho/meta/para aminobenzoic acid is a candidate...It's an acid,gives off [itex] CO_{2} [/itex] when reacted with a carbonate.It should precipitate copper.As for addition,i think those 2 groups to a benzene cycle could account for it...

Daniel.

4. Apr 26, 2005 #3

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

search chemfinder to get some suggestions, and make a follow up here...show some effort.

http://www.chemfinder.com

you'll need to register first, it's free and fast.

5. Apr 27, 2005 #4
    Well, here you spoilt the opportunity to first pedagogically ask why the poster connects the release of CO2 to ionicity, followed by a discussion (trying to make the poster learn by being confused since we ask him/her if he/she really believes in a certain thing - or in the opposite :devil: ) which then eventually and hopefully could lead to a conclusion that the substance might very well be acidic. :mad:
    The other things are less elementary, though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?