NIU Engineering/Physics Progam?

• Thread starter waht
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the engineering and physics programs at Northern Illinois University (NIU) and compares it to other universities such as University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) and University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UI). It is mentioned that NIU has ties with nearby research facilities, Fermilab and Argonne, and this may make it more attractive. There is limited knowledge about the engineering department at NIU, but there are collaborations with Fermilab and Argonne in the physics program. It is also mentioned that an accelerator is being built at Argonne by NIU's physics program and there are NIU students working at both Argonne and Fermilab.
waht
Anyone is familiar with NIU "Northern Illinois University" engineering program?

I've heard it supposedly has ties with Fermilab, and Argonne because of its close proximity, that might make it attractive? Is it a better alternative than UIC, or UI (@ Urbana) Engineering/Physics wise?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it a good physics/engineering school? It's only 20 miles from Fermilab.

Er... it isn't a better alternative than University of Illinois, for sure, in many areas of study.

I have no knowledge of its engineering dept. I do not see how its proximity to either Argonne or Fermilab would affect its engineering program that much. I have limited knowledge of its physics program because it has many collaboration both at Fermilab and at Argonne. For instance, the http://www.nicadd.niu.edu/" program at NIU is about to build an accelerator here at Argonne (right next to the facility that I currently work at ). In my group, we have one NIU student doing his Ph.D research work. I'm guessing there are a few others from NIU scattered all over Argonne, and I expect the same with Fermilab.

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the curriculum like for the NIU Engineering/Physics Program?

The curriculum for the NIU Engineering/Physics Program is a combination of fundamental courses in mathematics, physics, and engineering, as well as specialized courses in areas such as mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism. Students will also have the opportunity to participate in hands-on laboratory experiences and real-world engineering projects.

2. What kind of career opportunities are available for graduates of the NIU Engineering/Physics Program?

Graduates of the NIU Engineering/Physics Program are well-equipped for a variety of career paths, including positions in engineering, research, academia, and more. Many graduates also go on to pursue advanced degrees in fields such as engineering, physics, or applied mathematics.

3. Are there opportunities for undergraduate research in the NIU Engineering/Physics Program?

Yes, there are many opportunities for undergraduate research in the NIU Engineering/Physics Program. Students can work with faculty members on cutting-edge research projects, and may also have the chance to present their research at conferences or publish their work in scientific journals.

4. Can students pursue a dual degree in both engineering and physics at NIU?

Yes, students can pursue a dual degree in both engineering and physics at NIU. This program allows students to earn two degrees in five years, providing a strong foundation in both disciplines and expanding their career opportunities.

5. What kind of facilities and resources are available for students in the NIU Engineering/Physics Program?

Students in the NIU Engineering/Physics Program have access to state-of-the-art facilities and resources, including well-equipped laboratories, computer and design labs, and specialized equipment for research in areas such as optics, materials science, and robotics. Students also have access to academic advising, tutoring, and other support services to help them succeed in their studies.