About Nm^3 and Flow Measurement

In summary, In the ChemE class, the professor is teaching a new unit of measurement called Nm3/h. This unit is equivalent to mol/h and is used to calculate flow rates at different temperatures.
dRic2
Gold Member
I'm panicking right know, and I wonder if someone can answer these questions:

1) Nm^3 is a unit of measurement for Volume or Moles?

2) I have a flow at T=500K and, let's say, it is Q = 100 Nm^3/h

When I find the value of the flow at T=500K I do ##Q_{real} = Q* \frac T {273.15K}##. The new Q is in m^3/h ore Nm^3/h?

Physics news on Phys.org
dRic2 said:
I'm panicking right know, and I wonder if someone can answer these questions:

1) Nm^3 is a unit of measurement for Volume or Moles?

2) I have a flow at T=500K and, let's say, it is Q = 100 Nm^3/h

When I find the value of the flow at T=500K I do ##Q_{real} = Q* \frac T {273.15K}##. The new Q is in m^3/h ore Nm^3/h?
please provide the exact wording of your homework problem

It is not an exercise, sorry. I'm a chemE students and I've been doing every exercise with the flow in mol/h for 2 years. This time our professor keeps giving us this strange unit of measurement and I can't understand what it means. I'm sorry I don't know ho to translate my problem correctly in English.

What I figured out is that 1 Nm^3 = 44.6 mol so 100 Nm^3/h = 44600 mol/h. But this works only at T=273.15K and P=1atm

If the volumetric flow remains constant if the the Temperature changes so does its density and the number of moles.

44.6 moles of ideal gas at STP occupy 1 m3. What the N is doing there I have no idea. Perhaps it is an idealisation of a real gas - the amount of the real gas that would occupy 1 m3 if it was ideal. Or "ideal at 1 atm and 273.15K". In which case it is equivalent to a number of moles (44.6).
Now I think about it, I have done gas adsorption experiments where the amount of gas adsorbed is expressed as "volume at STP (cc/g)", although it is at 77K, and mol/g would be a more relevant unit.
So that's what I think it is. It's an amount (moles) of gas expressed as a volume.

Thanks for the suggestion. I think the only way to know is to go ask him...

Nm3/h stands for Normal Cubic Metres per hour, i.e. the flow rate at 0°C, 1.01325 bars atmospheric pressure.
There's also a Standard Cubic Metres per hour, Sm3/h (just so you don't get confused in the future again), which is the flow rate at 20°C, 1.01325 bars atmospheric pressure
None of these are the standard units for volume flow rate. Sm3/h is probably only used in the US. It is not part of the SI system though.

Last edited:

1. What is Nm^3 and how is it different from other measurements?

Nm^3 stands for Normal cubic meter and it is a unit of measurement used to describe the volume of a gas at standard temperature and pressure conditions. It is different from other measurements because it takes into account the variations in temperature and pressure, which can affect the volume of gases.

2. Why is Nm^3 commonly used in flow measurement?

Nm^3 is commonly used in flow measurement because it provides a more accurate representation of the actual volume of gas flowing through a system. This is important in industries such as oil and gas, where precise measurements are crucial for efficiency and safety.

3. How is Nm^3 calculated in flow measurement?

Nm^3 is calculated by first measuring the actual volume of gas at the actual temperature and pressure conditions, and then converting it to the volume at standard temperature and pressure using the Ideal Gas Law. The resulting value is the Nm^3 measurement.

4. What are the benefits of using Nm^3 in flow measurement?

The benefits of using Nm^3 in flow measurement include more accurate and standardized measurements, which can help in process control, equipment sizing, and cost optimization. It also allows for easier comparison of gas volumes between different systems and locations.

5. Are there any limitations to using Nm^3 in flow measurement?

One limitation of using Nm^3 in flow measurement is that it assumes ideal gas behavior, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. It also does not take into account the effects of non-ideal factors such as gas impurities and compressibility. This can result in some inaccuracies in the measurement.