NMOS/PMOS Def: What Does "N" & "P" Stand For?

• Thread starter steven-ka
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the meaning of 'N' and 'P' in the context of NMOS and PMOS transistors and capacitors. It is clarified that these letters refer to the type of carrier (electrons or holes) that form the channel when the device is on. The difference between NMOS and PMOS lies in the type of substrate material used.
steven-ka
Hello! I would like to have some assistance with a simple definition.
When I get a question about Nmos or Pmos, let's say enhancement mode and depletion(both cases), what does the 'N' or 'P' stands for? is it the channel in the device or is it the substrate material?
And does it change when we talk about a NMOS or PMOS capacitor?
I'll appreciate any comment that would help me out! thanks in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hey Steven,

N and P, in both cases (enhancement/depletion), refer to the type of carrier (electrons or holes) that form the channel when the transistor is "on". So NMOS transistors have p-type substrates but form n-type channels when the transistor is on. PMOS is exactly the opposite.

Regards,
Matt

What is an NMOS/PMOS?

An NMOS (or N-channel metal-oxide-semiconductor) and a PMOS (or P-channel metal-oxide-semiconductor) are types of field-effect transistors (FETs) used in electronic devices. They are made up of a semiconductor material, typically silicon, and act as switches to control the flow of current within a circuit.

What does the "N" in NMOS stand for?

The "N" in NMOS stands for "N-type," which refers to the type of doping used in the semiconductor material. N-type doping involves adding impurities such as phosphorus or arsenic to create an excess of negatively charged electrons.

What does the "P" in PMOS stand for?

The "P" in PMOS stands for "P-type," which is the opposite of N-type doping. P-type doping involves adding impurities such as boron or gallium to create an excess of positively charged holes.

What is the difference between NMOS and PMOS?

The main difference between NMOS and PMOS is the type of doping used in the semiconductor material. This results in differences in the way the transistors conduct and control the flow of current. NMOS is typically faster and more efficient, while PMOS is more commonly used in low-power applications.

How are NMOS and PMOS used in electronic devices?

NMOS and PMOS are used in a variety of electronic devices, including computers, smartphones, and digital cameras, to control the flow of current and perform logical operations. They are commonly used in complementary metal-oxide-semiconductor (CMOS) technology, which combines both types of transistors to achieve low power consumption and high performance.