What is the Depletion Region in NMOSFET Transistors?

In Summary, the current gets higher when the path through it can travel gets smaller on the other end.
Bassalisk
Hello,

I am a bit confused about depletion region in NMOSFET transistor. It says here in my book, that when you increase Uds (drain source) above Ugs(gate source) that the current get higher. Ok, makes sense if nothing, from Ohms law. Simultaneously, the depletion region get smaller in length due to that voltage, that is bigger than drain source one(I can grasp with that concept too) but when I put that together, it doesn't make sense...

How can current get higher when the path through it can travel gets smaller(on the other end though).

I attached an relevant image.

Attachments

• 26d8947b255659d1a5ee2d5790e51063.jpg
    26d8947b255659d1a5ee2d5790e51063.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 419
Engineering news on Phys.org
UPDATE: Relevant to this question: parasitic capacitance, I understand somewhat how it occurs. But why are they so bad? And why would one try to get rid of that capacitance?

Bassalisk said:
UPDATE: Relevant to this question: parasitic capacitance, I understand somewhat how it occurs. But why are they so bad? And why would one try to get rid of that capacitance?

Parasitic capacitances reduce the high frequency performance of the transistor. They shunt away both input current and output current and hence reduce both input impedance and gain at high frequencies. The worst of all is the feedback capacitance, for example [itex]C_{gd}[/itex] (aka the reverse transfer capacitance [itex]C_{rss}[/itex]) in the common source configuration. The voltage variation across this capacitance gets multiplied by the voltage gain of the circuit, and so in turn does it's determent on the high frequency performance.

Last edited:
RE your original question :
How can current get higher when the path through it can travel gets smaller(on the other end though).

You have to understand that this increase in current is a second order effect. Meaning that to a first order approximation the current actually remains constant (The very mode of which your question refers to is call either "saturation" or "constant current" mode.)

So sorry to give you the "run around" here, but to understand the more esoteric second order effect you must first understand the basic "first order" approximation. To understand why the current increases you must first understand why it remains (approx) constant.

So you probably should ask that question first.

Took me 2 weeks to swallow the transistor effect... countless hours of searching. I guess I will have to do with FETs the same...

Thanks for your help, I have a good start though.

1. What is an NMOSFET depletion region?

The NMOSFET depletion region is the region between the source and drain in a metal-oxide-semiconductor field-effect transistor (MOSFET) where the majority carriers (electrons) have been depleted due to the application of a voltage on the gate electrode.

2. How does the NMOSFET depletion region affect transistor behavior?

The depletion region in an NMOSFET creates a channel between the source and drain, allowing current to flow when a voltage is applied to the gate. The width of the depletion region affects the resistance of the channel and therefore the current flow through the transistor.

3. What factors affect the size of the NMOSFET depletion region?

The size of the depletion region in an NMOSFET is influenced by the doping concentration of the source, drain, and substrate, as well as the applied voltage on the gate. A higher doping concentration results in a smaller depletion region, while a higher gate voltage increases the width of the depletion region.

4. How does the NMOSFET depletion region differ from the depletion region in a P-N junction?

The depletion region in an NMOSFET is created by the accumulation of charges on the surface of the semiconductor, while the depletion region in a P-N junction is formed by the diffusion of majority carriers. Additionally, the depletion region in an NMOSFET is controlled by an external voltage, while the depletion region in a P-N junction is formed by the built-in potential between the p-type and n-type materials.

5. Why is the NMOSFET depletion region important in transistor design?

The size and shape of the depletion region in an NMOSFET can be manipulated through the design of the transistor, allowing for control over the flow of current through the device. This is essential for proper functioning of the transistor as a switch or amplifier in electronic circuits.