1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

NMR and IR Spectroscopy of Unknown

1. Feb 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have attached the IR and NMR spectrum from lab. I have determined that there was a nitrogen present in the compound. There was no sulfur or halogens. The molecular weight was 138. The compound was solid and yellow color. It had a melting point between 124 and 134 C.

2. Relevant equations

I have read 2 chapters on NMR and IR, but the compound is so confusing. It has peaks everywhere. I would appreciate any kind of help.

3. The attempt at a solution

After looking at various websites and books, I think I have an amide group, a carboxyl acid group and aromatic ring. I have no clue if thats even right and how on earth I am going to draw the structure of compound. What does the UV stand for?

Appreciate any kind of help. I have spent weeks on this and its due Monday. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2009 #2
    Please.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook