NMR and IR Spectroscopy of Unknown

In summary, the student is seeking help on determining the structure of a compound based on its IR and NMR spectra. They have identified the presence of nitrogen and the absence of sulfur and halogens. The compound has a molecular weight of 138 and is solid and yellow in color with a melting point between 124 and 134 C. The student has also read 2 chapters on NMR and IR but is still confused. They suspect the presence of an amide group, carboxylic acid group, and aromatic ring, but are unsure how to draw the structure. They also have questions about UV and are requesting assistance before the assignment is due on Monday.
samdiah

Homework Statement

I have attached the IR and NMR spectrum from lab. I have determined that there was a nitrogen present in the compound. There was no sulfur or halogens. The molecular weight was 138. The compound was solid and yellow color. It had a melting point between 124 and 134 C.

Homework Equations

I have read 2 chapters on NMR and IR, but the compound is so confusing. It has peaks everywhere. I would appreciate any kind of help.

The Attempt at a Solution

After looking at various websites and books, I think I have an amide group, a carboxyl acid group and aromatic ring. I have no clue if that's even right and how on Earth I am going to draw the structure of compound. What does the UV stand for?

Appreciate any kind of help. I have spent weeks on this and its due Monday. Thanks.

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 430
Physics news on Phys.org
Please.

1. What is the purpose of using NMR and IR spectroscopy on an unknown sample?

NMR (Nuclear Magnetic Resonance) and IR (Infrared) spectroscopy are analytical techniques used to identify the chemical structure of an unknown sample. By analyzing the unique spectral patterns produced by the sample, scientists can determine the types of atoms and functional groups present, as well as their relative positions in the molecule.

2. How does NMR spectroscopy work?

NMR spectroscopy works by exposing the sample to a strong magnetic field, causing the nuclei of certain atoms to align with the field. A radiofrequency pulse is then applied, causing the nuclei to absorb energy and flip to a higher energy state. As the nuclei return to their original state, they emit energy in the form of electromagnetic radiation, which is detected and analyzed to produce an NMR spectrum.

3. What information can be obtained from an IR spectrum?

IR spectroscopy measures the absorption of infrared light by the sample, which is related to the vibration of chemical bonds within the molecule. This provides information about the types of bonds present, such as single or double bonds, as well as the presence of functional groups such as alcohols, amines, and carbonyl groups.

4. What is the main difference between NMR and IR spectroscopy?

The main difference between NMR and IR spectroscopy is the type of information they provide. NMR spectroscopy primarily reveals the types of atoms and their relative positions in a molecule, while IR spectroscopy focuses on the types of bonds and functional groups present. Additionally, NMR spectroscopy requires a sample to be in solution, while IR spectroscopy can be used on solid, liquid, or gas samples.

5. How are NMR and IR spectroscopy used together in analyzing an unknown sample?

NMR and IR spectroscopy are often used in conjunction with each other to provide a more comprehensive analysis of unknown samples. By combining the information from both techniques, scientists can obtain a more accurate picture of the chemical structure of the sample. This can help confirm the presence of certain functional groups and aid in the identification of complex molecules.