NMR experiment to find G-factors

In summary, the speaker conducted an experiment using a teltron set up to determine electron, proton and fluorine nuclei g-factors. They observed a main resonance peak and an additional peak when using different pole face configurations. The additional peak could be due to a phenomenon called "double resonance" and further experiments are suggested to confirm this. The size of the peaks does not necessarily correspond to energy transitions.
physicsjock
Hey,

I did a small experiment to determine the electron, proton and fluorine nuclei g-factors using a teltron set up shown below. The experiment was set up to sweep the static magnetic field between 0 and 3.67 mT and to keep the frequency of the perpendicular high frequency field constant.

U18803_01_Basic-Equipment-Set-for-ESR-NMR.jpg

When using the electron probe and electron target sample, hollow cylindrical cores are placed between the scan coils and interface with pole face rings at the entrance to the sample chamber. The sample chamber is an enclosed box between the two scan coils where the sample sits in the electron probe.

With this set up I got really good resonance peaks with nothing unexpected.

Just out of curiosity i replaced the pole faced rings with pole faced discs and reran the experiment.

It produced these another peak at the end of the sweep which is roughly half the size of the main resonance peak. The best way to explain it would be, after the main resonance peak, there is about 10 ms of minimum, normal output, then towards the end of the sweep the output increases forming an almost linear increase until the magnetic field is maximum. The sweep ends then repeat.

This peak couldn't correspond to energy transitions because they are only half the size of the resonance peak, if it was an energy transition would the peaks be just as big as the main resonance peak?

Does anyone know what these peaks might be?

The only difference between the single resonance peak and the weird results is that I changed the volume of the cavity right?

I would have posted pictures up as well but the oscilloscope I used wasn't connecting properly to any printers.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your experiment and results with us. It is always exciting to see fellow scientists conducting their own experiments and discovering new things.

From your description, it seems like the additional peak you observed could be due to a phenomenon known as "double resonance". This occurs when there are two different resonant frequencies present in the system, resulting in two distinct peaks in the output. In your case, the main resonance peak could be due to the electron probe and target sample, while the additional peak could be due to the pole faced discs interacting with the system.

To confirm this, I would suggest conducting further experiments with different configurations and samples to see if the additional peak persists. Additionally, you could also try adjusting the frequency of the perpendicular high frequency field to see if it affects the size or presence of the additional peak.

Regarding your question about energy transitions, it is possible for the peaks to be different sizes even if they correspond to energy transitions. This could be due to differences in the transition probabilities or the strength of the magnetic field.

I hope this helps in understanding the results of your experiment. Keep up the good work and keep exploring! If you have any further questions or updates on your experiment, please feel free to share them with us.

Scientist

1. What is an NMR experiment?

An NMR (nuclear magnetic resonance) experiment is a scientific technique used to study the magnetic properties of atomic nuclei. It involves placing a sample in a strong magnetic field and then applying radio frequency pulses to the sample, which causes the nuclei to emit signals that can be analyzed to determine various properties of the sample.

2. What are G-factors in an NMR experiment?

G-factors, also known as nuclear g-factors, are a measure of the magnetic moment of a nucleus. They describe the ratio of the nuclear magnetic moment to the nuclear spin, and can provide valuable information about the structure and behavior of molecules.

3. How is an NMR experiment used to find G-factors?

In an NMR experiment to find G-factors, the sample is placed in a strong magnetic field and radio frequency pulses are applied to the sample. The resulting signals are then analyzed to determine the frequency at which the nuclei resonate, which is directly related to the G-factors of the nuclei in the sample.

4. What information can be gained from an NMR experiment to find G-factors?

An NMR experiment to find G-factors can provide information about the magnetic properties of atomic nuclei, such as their spin and magnetic moment. This information can be used to study the structure and behavior of molecules, as well as to determine the type and number of nuclei present in a sample.

5. What are the practical applications of an NMR experiment to find G-factors?

The use of NMR experiments to find G-factors has a wide range of practical applications, including in the fields of chemistry, biochemistry, and medical research. It can be used to analyze the composition and structure of molecules, identify unknown substances, and study biological processes at the molecular level. It is also commonly used in drug development and quality control in the pharmaceutical industry.