NMR Experiments: Why Do I Need a Broadband Probe Head?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a broadband probe head in an nmr experiment with a magnet of 2 tesla and modulation coils with a frequency of 50hz. The purpose of the probe is to detect a signal at the resonance frequency of 50mhz. The individual is unsure why their professor has instructed them to use a broadband probe and is hesitant to ask for clarification. It is mentioned that the professor's role is to provide guidance and it is questioned if the same receiver will be used for multiple nuclei or field strengths.
annaline19
Hello
I have to do an nmr experiement. Why do i need a broadband probe head? I have a magnet with 2 tesla. and modulation coils on it with a frequency of 50hz. For example i have a resonance frequency at 50mhz.
i hope you can pelp me.

Physics news on Phys.org
You shouldn't need a broadband receiver, just a receiver near the Larmor frequency. Are you using the probe for multiple nuclei or field strengths?

the idea is at resonance frequency the resistor is 50ohm. if something is into the probe head 50ohm it differs. and an nmr detector detects this and shows a signal.
the problem is my prof says i need it and i don't want to ask him again because i didnt understand it.
what can the reason be for a broadband signal? is the linewith always the same with this method?

annaline19 said:
my prof says i need it and i don't want to ask him again because i didnt understand it.
Um, that is part of your professor's job.

Again, are you using the same receiver for multiple nuclei or field strengths?

Last edited:

1. What is a broadband probe head in NMR experiments?

A broadband probe head is a specialized component used in NMR experiments that allows for the detection of a wide range of frequencies. It is designed to cover a broad frequency range, typically from a few megahertz to several hundred megahertz, making it useful for a variety of NMR experiments.

2. Why is a broadband probe head necessary for NMR experiments?

NMR experiments involve the analysis of different types of molecules and compounds, each of which may have a unique frequency range. A broadband probe head allows for the detection of a wide range of frequencies, making it easier to analyze a variety of samples without needing to switch between different probe heads.

3. How does a broadband probe head work in NMR experiments?

A broadband probe head consists of a set of radiofrequency (RF) coils that are tuned to different frequencies. These coils are connected to the NMR spectrometer, which sends pulses of energy to excite the sample. The probe head then detects the resulting signals and sends them back to the spectrometer for analysis.

4. Can I use a regular probe head instead of a broadband one in NMR experiments?

While it is possible to use a regular probe head for NMR experiments, it may limit the types of samples and experiments that can be performed. A regular probe head is typically tuned to a specific frequency range, which may not be suitable for all types of samples. A broadband probe head provides more flexibility and can be used for a wider range of samples.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using a broadband probe head in NMR experiments?

One potential drawback of using a broadband probe head is that it may have a lower sensitivity compared to a regular probe head. This is because the RF coils in a broadband probe head are tuned to a wider range of frequencies, which can make it more challenging to detect signals from a specific frequency. However, advances in technology have greatly improved the sensitivity of broadband probe heads in recent years.