1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

NMR problems please help

1. Mar 17, 2016 #1
    • Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Help Template is shown
    How many NMR signals and peaks will there be for a di-substituted benzene ring and why?
    The ring has one CH3 and and a Cl ortho to the CH3.

(This isnt a homework problem but Im running into same issue whenever I encounter rings wrt NMR)

i am specifically confused as to how to apply the n+1 rule to determine the number of peaks, with respect to two chemically equivalent protons.

But first the signals

On the above example, I think there will be 3 signals:
    the 3 chemically equivalent methyl protons = signal 1
    the 2 chem equiv protons on either side of the Cl = the 2nd signal
    the 2 chem equiv protons on either side of the methyl = the 3rd signal

Before I ask about peaks, could someone tell me if this is correct so far?

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2016 #2

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

You say that the methyl is ortho to the chlorine, but from the description of the protons, it sounds like you're talking about p-chlorotoluene where the groups are para to each other. Which is correct?

4. Mar 18, 2016 #3
    download.png

5. Mar 18, 2016 #4
    Sorry not sure why i said ortho, yup i definitely meant para..heres drawing so its clear

6. Mar 18, 2016 #5
    please ignore that little grey dot above the ring.. no idea what that is (just learning chemdoodle).. thanks

7. Mar 18, 2016 #6

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Three kinds of protons sounds right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted