NMR Spectroscopy Homework: Proposing Structure from Data

• Thread starter ephemeral1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nmr
In summary, the structure consistent with the given data is most likely a compound with a large aromatic ring and a carbonyl group attached. The singlet at 5.08 is likely to be a hydrogen bound to a carbon alpha to the carbonyl group, and the multiplet at 7.25 is due to the splitting of the NMR signal by six neighboring hydrogens. The term "multiplet" is used when there are 5 or more peaks, and specific descriptions like "sextet" or "heptet" may be used in cases of high resolution.
ephemeral1

Homework Statement

Propose a structure that is consistent with the data.

C15H14O singlet 2.20 (3H)
singlet 5.08 (1H)
multiplet 7.25 (10H)

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

The multiplet is giving me trouble. I don't know how to interpret this. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
With that many degrees of unsaturation, the multiplet in that range is almost certainly hydrogens on aromatic ring / rings.

Could you explain the multiplet part? When do you see a multiplet peak? And what causes it? I don't quiet understand that.

The oversimplified version is this, depending on the substitution of the aromatic ring, you can have a few doublets or triplets so close together than they become a large multiplet that is hard to differentiate unless you have very high resolution.

Could you give me a hint on how to solve this problem?

Could you give me an example of a multiplet? That would help me visualizing it better. Thank you.

Take one of the hydrogens on carbon #2 in the center of a propane molecule for an example. It has 6 neighboring hydrogens that will split the NMR signal. This would give a total of 7 peaks, which could be referred to as a heptet or more commonly a multiplet.

so does heptet mean multiplet? Why do sometimes you see textbook uses sextet, heptet, ... and not multiplet? This is what confuses me. When do you use sextet, heptet,... and multiplet? Please give an example. This would clarify things a lot. Thank you.

The term multiplet isn't specific as far as I know. When you see multiplet, just think 5+ peaks. A specific description, like sextet or heptet, may be used if very high resolution is being used. You generally won't need to know how many peaks are in a multiplet to solve any of the problems you come across in undergrad organic chemistry.

Thank you very much. Now I think I could figure this problem out.

People thought I was crazy for it, but puzzles like this were the reason I liked organic chem. I just worked through this one myself now and it took about 10 minutes of drawing possible structures and crossing them out.

Hint: Recall that 2 - 2.5 is the normal range for hydrogens bound to a carbon alpha to a carbonyl group.

... and the singlet at 5.08 is likely to have a fair amount of line broadening.

What is NMR spectroscopy and how is it used in proposing structure from data?

NMR spectroscopy is a powerful analytical technique used to determine the structure of molecules. It involves exposing a sample to a strong magnetic field and measuring the energy absorbed by the nuclei of different atoms in the sample. This data can then be used to identify the types of atoms present in the sample and their arrangement, helping to propose the overall structure of the molecule.

What types of data are typically collected in NMR spectroscopy?

The most commonly collected data in NMR spectroscopy are chemical shifts, which provide information about the types of atoms present, and coupling constants, which reveal the connectivity between different atoms in the molecule. Other data such as peak intensities and relaxation times may also be collected.

What are some challenges in using NMR spectroscopy to propose structure from data?

One of the main challenges in using NMR spectroscopy for structure determination is the complexity of the spectra, especially for larger molecules. This can make it difficult to assign peaks to specific atoms and interpret the data accurately. Additionally, sample impurities and experimental errors can also affect the data and make it more challenging to propose an accurate structure.

What are some strategies for analyzing NMR spectra to propose structure from data?

To analyze NMR spectra and propose a structure from the data, it is important to first identify and assign the peaks in the spectrum to specific atoms. This can be done by comparing the chemical shifts and coupling constants to known values for different types of atoms. Additionally, 2D NMR techniques can provide more detailed information about the connectivity between atoms and aid in structure determination.

What are some common tools and software used for NMR spectroscopy data analysis?

There are many different tools and software available for NMR spectroscopy data analysis, including programs such as MestReNova, ACD/NMR Processor, and TopSpin. These programs offer various functionalities such as peak picking, spectral simulation, and structure prediction to help analyze and interpret NMR data for structure determination.