1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

NMR theory help

1. Feb 22, 2007 #1
    I'm trying to teach myself the theory behind NMR spectroscopy, but I am having some trouble with some pchem/physics concepts that I have never seen before.

The chapter I am currently on talks about the quantization of nuclear angular momentum. What I don't understand is, what is the difference between spin number (I) and nuclear spin angular momentum which my book gives as

P=h/2pi (I(I+1))^1/2

I have looked up what nuclear spin number (I) means on some physics websites and they state that I is the total angular momentum of the nuclei so I don't really understand what P really is if I is the total angular momentum of the nuclei.

Another term they talk about in the chapter is quantum number m_I (is this almost the same thing as the quantum number m_s for the electron?).

Given a magnetic field of strength B (in the z direction)a magnetic moment u would have an energy U given by

U=-u.B=-u_zB where u_z is the z component of u. They then go on to show that the energy is given by

U=-y(h/2pi)m_IB (y is the magnetogyric ratio) and state that there are 2I+1 values for m_I.

Could someone please explain P, I, and m_I ?? sorry for the equations, I don't know how to use latex.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2007 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I is simply a "quantum number" (just like the n, l, m that you are familiar with for an electron in a central potential; in this case, I is similar to the l quantum number, though it's closer to the electron spin quantum number s) - it is not the actual angular momentum. P is the actual angular momentum eigenvalue - it is what a single measurement of the total angular momentum will give (just as a measurement of the electron's orbital angular momentum, L, will tell you whether it is in an l=0,1,2,... state -ie: is an s, p, d... electron).

Just as I is a number that describes the quantization of the total angular momentum P, the number m_I describes the quantization of another observable, P_z (one component of the angular momentum vector). Yes, it is analogous to the m_s, which describes the quantization of S_z (any measurement of S_z will produce a result that is multiple of /hbar; this multiplication factor is designated m_s).

Last edited: Feb 23, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?