Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

No Calculus?

1. Mar 10, 2005 #1
    No Calculus??

I'm taking 200 level courses in physics right now, and I noticed that there is absolutely no calculus involved in the teaching. The book we use has it, but the instructor doesn't use it. Aside from a B x dl or E x dA here and there, there's nothing. Is that normal?

PL

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2005 #2

nd

What is the name of the course?

4. Mar 10, 2005 #3

cronxeh

Gold Member

I'm guessing Electricity & Magnetism.

It is normal for undergraduate level, since there are shortcuts so that you dont need flux integrals and all the complicated math reduces to simple algebra

5. Mar 11, 2005 #4
    Yeah, it's 202 E & M right now.

That's a relief. I've been screwed before by teachers who thought I didn't need this or that, only to need it in the next class. =/

PL

EDIT: Besides, the course is hard enough as it is. :)

6. Mar 11, 2005 #5
    Keep in mind that the term "200-level" course really holds no meaning for most of us since every university has a completely different course numbering scheme. What's more useful is the name of the course, maybe a brief description from the catalog, and the name of the textbook(s) you're using.

7. Mar 11, 2005 #6
    Oh, I didn't know that. I thought it went by years, first year 100, 2nd 200, etc. (although this is my first year in college, I took HS physics).

We use Giancolli (sp?) 3rd edition physics book.

PL

EDIT: The title is "Physics for Scientists and Engineers"

Last edited: Mar 11, 2005
  8. Mar 15, 2005 #7
    There are multiple books with that title, mine is by Knight.

My university uses 1000, 2000, 3000, 4000, etc.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook