Thermochemistry: Understanding Delta H and Work in Constant Pressure Reactions

In summary, the conversation involves a question about the value of delta H for a reaction at constant pressure with given values for delta U and expansion work. The speaker is unsure of the significance of delta U and makes a guess that it represents E, but is later informed that U and E are the same.
ace123
1. For a certain reaction at constant pressure, delta U= -72 KJ, and 39KJ of expansion work is done by the system. What is delta H for this process.

2. I basically have no idea what to do because it's not in my textbook and my professor has never taught this. Maybe If I knew what the delta U stood for I could understand it.

Thanks

Edit: Wild guess, answer is -111 KJ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anybody know what the damn delta U supposed to signify

No, It does not. In my book this is the only way this is written [tex]\Delta{H}\,=\,\Delta{E}\,+\,P\Delta{V}[/tex] My guess was that it stood for E but i wasnt sure. Does that I am right?

ace123 said:
No, It does not. In my book this is the only way this is written [tex]\Delta{H}\,=\,\Delta{E}\,+\,P\Delta{V}[/tex] My guess was that it stood for E but i wasnt sure. Does that I am right?

yes, some places use U and some use E, they are the same

Okay, Thanks

Edit: Are you stalking my posts eli64 :rofl:

What is thermochemistry?

Thermochemistry is the branch of chemistry that studies the relationship between heat and other forms of energy in chemical reactions.

How is thermochemistry related to thermodynamics?

Thermochemistry is a subset of thermodynamics, which is the study of the relationships between heat, work, and energy. Thermochemistry specifically focuses on the heat aspect of thermodynamics.

Why is thermochemistry important?

Thermochemistry is important because it helps us understand the energy changes that occur during chemical reactions. This information is crucial in designing and optimizing chemical processes and reactions.

What are some common applications of thermochemistry?

Some common applications of thermochemistry include energy production, such as in power plants and combustion engines, as well as in the production of industrial chemicals and pharmaceuticals.

What are some key concepts in thermochemistry?

Some key concepts in thermochemistry include enthalpy, heat capacity, calorimetry, and Hess's law. These concepts help us quantify and understand the energy changes that occur during chemical reactions.