No coffee?

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
No coffee?!?!?!

This morning, the unthinkable happened: I was out of coffee!!!

To the best of my recollection, this was my first conscious day [as opposed to, surgery days, severe illness, exhaustion] without coffee in 30 years. It is probably one of a few days that I've gone without coffee in almost 40 years. I even drink coffee with I'm sick.

I estimate that I personally pay for Juan Valdez's vacation every year.

We drink a roast that is very low in caffeine so I didn't notice any effects - not even a caffeine headache. But by late evening I was dying for a cup and finally had to run to the store. Normally, when I'm working at home, I drink about two pots a day.

Not promoting it as a good habbit, but I love coffee!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOaADFq9yOg

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

Integral
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Ha! Take the day to wash your coffee pot!

I thought the clouds to the south east were looking dark today!

Chi Meson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Two pots absent, and no headache?!?

I have the equivalent of 5 cups (2 large mugs) each morning. Right now, I blend 1/3 decaf beans into regular beans. If I were to go the morning without, I would have an impossible-to-think-through, stabbing headache by 2 PM.

By 5, I would need four Advil, and a dark room.

That's "dark-side" roast for you.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor

I've had those days without coffee. By 2 pm I thought I had the flu.

Coffee is one of the essentials - along with water, oxygen and food.

We probably pay for Juan's childrens' university tuition. :biggrin:

I have a low tolerance for caffein. If I were to drink a cup of coffee in the morning, it would keep me up all day.

Note to self: Today is the wrong day to piss off Ivan.

I have a low tolerance for caffein. If I were to drink a cup of coffee in the morning, it would keep me up all day.
Isn't being kept awake all day one of the points of coffee? If it keeps you awake at night, I get it, but caffeine doesn't persist in the body for anywhere near that long.

I can't recall when I've last run out of coffee for first thing in the morning. I can only guess what sort of deep panic that would generate. My stomach doesn't allow me to consume as much coffee as I have in past years, but I'm still all about the first thing that happens in my day is a cup of freshly ground caffeinated goodness.

I don't think I'd want to wait until late in the day to rectify that problem. Just because.

Coffee!Once in a blue moon perhaps.A nice cup of tea of tea is what you need.

Chocolate is another fine vehicle for caffeine, and sometimes you get lucky and coffee and chocolate combine!

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Note to self: Today is the wrong day to piss off Ivan.
Suprisingly [and I mean that!], I didn't notice any ill effects at all. It was almost 10PM before I ran to the store. If I didn't have a customer coming by this morning, I might have waited until today.

FlexGunship
Gold Member

Coffee!Once in a blue moon perhaps.A nice cup of tea of tea is what you need.
I keep at least a million green tea bags available at work. Easy to prepare and very rewarding to drink. The caffeine is helpful, and I like to pretend it's good for me (who am I kidding?).

turbo
Gold Member

I have an espresso-maker, and I load it with more than enough ground roast to make a 4 demitasse pot. That goes into my mug, first thing every morning. I can't imagine wandering out to the kitchen in the morning and finding out there is no coffee. Oh, the humanity!

G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member

I can go through two pots while in the lab easily!

One in the morning when I get in. The other starts at around 3:30-4:00.

I make it a bit weaker than usual, since coffee drinking is half addiction, half enjoyable pass time for me.

If I got into the lab and found out I was out of coffee,I would go out immediately and buy some. I wouldn't even have to think about it.:smile:

Dr Transport
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Go to the nearest Starbucks and get a venti of Pikes Place Roast.....

If we ran out of coffee at home, the better half would make me run out and get some immediately and be twitching in the seat next to me on the way.

Evo
Mentor

Speaking of coffee, I'm running really low. I've been so desparate before that I heated up cold coffee left in the caraffe from the day before.

turbo
Gold Member

Speaking of coffee, I'm running really low. I've been so desparate before that I heated up cold coffee left in the caraffe from the day before.
This thread made me go check. Phew! We still have the better part of a 2# can in the pantry. :tongue:

George Jones
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

I can't remember exactly when I last drank a cup of coffee. I know that I had at least one cup in May, 2008. I last drank a cup of tea about three hours ago.

G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member

You don't have a problem Evo. Don't let anyone tell you that you do! I'm sure you could quit anytime...

Evo
Mentor

You don't have a problem Evo. Don't let anyone tell you that you do! I'm sure you could quit anytime...
I know, I quit all of the time. :biggrin:

I can't remember exactly when I last drank a cup of coffee. I know that I had at least one cup in May, 2008. I last drank a cup of tea about three hours ago.
Sounds like the end of A&E's 'Intervention'. :tongue2:

Chocolate is another fine vehicle for caffeine, and sometimes you get lucky and coffee and chocolate combine!
chocolate and coffee go great together. cherries also go great with those two.

and Ivan, i hope you're saving your coffee grounds. they make great mulch.

chocolate and coffee go great together. cherries also go great with those two.

Oh yeah... and I LOVE to get some bing cherries, pit them, macerate them in a little maraschino, then dip them in milk chocolate. MMMMmmmMMMM!! Cover them in dark and serve with espresso for fun.

turbo
Gold Member

Put them in your compost heap. Worms love coffee. I don't know how scientific this is, but when I was a kid, I composted maple leaves and plants from each fall's garden clean-up and would fold back the layers of the pile and spread around the coffee grounds that I saved from my parents' percolator. It seems like when I went out there to sell some worms to fishermen (bait sales near a good trout river) I could usually find the fattest most lively worms in the layers with the coffee grounds. I had some pretty loyal customers. When you're 10-11 or so, that is a good feeling.

Put them in your compost heap. Worms love coffee. I don't know how scientific this is, but when I was a kid, I composted maple leaves and plants from each fall's garden clean-up and would fold back the layers of the pile and spread around the coffee grounds that I saved from my parents' percolator. It seems like when I went out there to sell some worms to fishermen (bait sales near a good trout river) I could usually find the fattest most lively worms in the layers with the coffee grounds. I had some pretty loyal customers. When you're 10-11 or so, that is a good feeling.
yes, you are right. compost is what i mean. you can just throw them out in a flower bed or something, but they will tend to mold if not composted first.