Why is coffee so important to me?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coffee Love
In summary, the coffee-drinking expert was out of coffee this morning and did not experience any ill effects. He estimates that he pays for Juan Valdez's annual vacation with coffee. He likes to pretend that caffeine is good for him. He has a low tolerance for caffeine and would experience a headache if he drank coffee in the morning. He has a method for coping with coffee-less mornings.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
No coffee?!

This morning, the unthinkable happened: I was out of coffee!

To the best of my recollection, this was my first conscious day [as opposed to, surgery days, severe illness, exhaustion] without coffee in 30 years. It is probably one of a few days that I've gone without coffee in almost 40 years. I even drink coffee with I'm sick.

I estimate that I personally pay for Juan Valdez's vacation every year.

We drink a roast that is very low in caffeine so I didn't notice any effects - not even a caffeine headache. But by late evening I was dying for a cup and finally had to run to the store. Normally, when I'm working at home, I drink about two pots a day.

Not promoting it as a good habbit, but I love coffee!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOaADFq9yOg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Ha! Take the day to wash your coffee pot!

I thought the clouds to the south east were looking dark today!

Two pots absent, and no headache?!?

I have the equivalent of 5 cups (2 large mugs) each morning. Right now, I blend 1/3 decaf beans into regular beans. If I were to go the morning without, I would have an impossible-to-think-through, stabbing headache by 2 PM.

By 5, I would need four Advil, and a dark room.

That's "dark-side" roast for you.

I've had those days without coffee. By 2 pm I thought I had the flu.

Coffee is one of the essentials - along with water, oxygen and food.

We probably pay for Juan's childrens' university tuition. :biggrin:

I have a low tolerance for caffein. If I were to drink a cup of coffee in the morning, it would keep me up all day.

Note to self: Today is the wrong day to piss off Ivan.

Jimmy Snyder said:
I have a low tolerance for caffein. If I were to drink a cup of coffee in the morning, it would keep me up all day.

Isn't being kept awake all day one of the points of coffee? If it keeps you awake at night, I get it, but caffeine doesn't persist in the body for anywhere near that long.

I can't recall when I've last run out of coffee for first thing in the morning. I can only guess what sort of deep panic that would generate. My stomach doesn't allow me to consume as much coffee as I have in past years, but I'm still all about the first thing that happens in my day is a cup of freshly ground caffeinated goodness.

I don't think I'd want to wait until late in the day to rectify that problem. Just because.

Coffee!Once in a blue moon perhaps.A nice cup of tea of tea is what you need.

Chocolate is another fine vehicle for caffeine, and sometimes you get lucky and coffee and chocolate combine!

nismaratwork said:
Note to self: Today is the wrong day to piss off Ivan.

Suprisingly [and I mean that!], I didn't notice any ill effects at all. It was almost 10PM before I ran to the store. If I didn't have a customer coming by this morning, I might have waited until today.

Dadface said:
Coffee!Once in a blue moon perhaps.A nice cup of tea of tea is what you need.

I keep at least a million green tea bags available at work. Easy to prepare and very rewarding to drink. The caffeine is helpful, and I like to pretend it's good for me (who am I kidding?).

I have an espresso-maker, and I load it with more than enough ground roast to make a 4 demitasse pot. That goes into my mug, first thing every morning. I can't imagine wandering out to the kitchen in the morning and finding out there is no coffee. Oh, the humanity!

I can go through two pots while in the lab easily!

One in the morning when I get in. The other starts at around 3:30-4:00.

I make it a bit weaker than usual, since coffee drinking is half addiction, half enjoyable pass time for me.

If I got into the lab and found out I was out of coffee,I would go out immediately and buy some. I wouldn't even have to think about it.:smile:

Go to the nearest Starbucks and get a venti of Pikes Place Roast...

If we ran out of coffee at home, the better half would make me run out and get some immediately and be twitching in the seat next to me on the way.

Speaking of coffee, I'm running really low. I've been so desparate before that I heated up cold coffee left in the caraffe from the day before.

Evo said:
Speaking of coffee, I'm running really low. I've been so desparate before that I heated up cold coffee left in the caraffe from the day before.
This thread made me go check. Phew! We still have the better part of a 2# can in the pantry. :tongue:

I can't remember exactly when I last drank a cup of coffee. I know that I had at least one cup in May, 2008. I last drank a cup of tea about three hours ago.

Evo said:

You don't have a problem Evo. Don't let anyone tell you that you do! I'm sure you could quit anytime...

G01 said:
You don't have a problem Evo. Don't let anyone tell you that you do! I'm sure you could quit anytime...
I know, I quit all of the time. :biggrin:

George Jones said:
I can't remember exactly when I last drank a cup of coffee. I know that I had at least one cup in May, 2008. I last drank a cup of tea about three hours ago.

Sounds like the end of A&E's 'Intervention'. :tongue2:

nismaratwork said:
Chocolate is another fine vehicle for caffeine, and sometimes you get lucky and coffee and chocolate combine!

chocolate and coffee go great together. cherries also go great with those two.

and Ivan, i hope you're saving your coffee grounds. they make great mulch.

Proton Soup said:
chocolate and coffee go great together. cherries also go great with those two.

Oh yeah... and I LOVE to get some bing cherries, pit them, macerate them in a little maraschino, then dip them in milk chocolate. MMMMmmmMMMM! Cover them in dark and serve with espresso for fun.

Proton Soup said:
Put them in your compost heap. Worms love coffee. I don't know how scientific this is, but when I was a kid, I composted maple leaves and plants from each fall's garden clean-up and would fold back the layers of the pile and spread around the coffee grounds that I saved from my parents' percolator. It seems like when I went out there to sell some worms to fishermen (bait sales near a good trout river) I could usually find the fattest most lively worms in the layers with the coffee grounds. I had some pretty loyal customers. When you're 10-11 or so, that is a good feeling.

turbo-1 said:
Put them in your compost heap. Worms love coffee. I don't know how scientific this is, but when I was a kid, I composted maple leaves and plants from each fall's garden clean-up and would fold back the layers of the pile and spread around the coffee grounds that I saved from my parents' percolator. It seems like when I went out there to sell some worms to fishermen (bait sales near a good trout river) I could usually find the fattest most lively worms in the layers with the coffee grounds. I had some pretty loyal customers. When you're 10-11 or so, that is a good feeling.

yes, you are right. compost is what i mean. you can just throw them out in a flower bed or something, but they will tend to mold if not composted first.

Proton Soup said:
yes, you are right. compost is what i mean. you can just throw them out in a flower bed or something, but they will tend to mold if not composted first.
My wife and I compost ALL plant-based materials. Interestingly (or not) my mother loved gardening, and she had me composting plant waste by the time I was 8 or 10 or so, so we could use the compost for fertilizer in our garden. By the time I was 10, I figured out that I could start a side-line selling earthworms for bait, so I put out a little sign. Pretty soon, I had a fair following of local fishermen who were sick of paying for bait-shops for lethargic worms that fell apart easily. My worms were healthy, and I never stuck them with a bunch of little ones to get the count up, like bait-dealers did. Best of all, they would come out to the pile with me, and kind of tease me as I picked out worms for them "Grab that one! He'll catch me a good salmon!" and stuff like that. I didn't make a lot of money, but when your dad is trying to support a family of 6 on $1.15/hr a few extra bucks a week was a big deal. He made me save every cent of it, because he wanted me to go to college and expected me to pay for it.

Most of my grounds go into the pasture.

Favorite coffees?

Ivan Seeking said:
Most of my grounds go into the pasture.

Favorite coffees?
We compost the coffee grounds with other vegetable kitchen waste, grass and leaves.

I've generally preferred the coffees I get in Europe.

As for those we've brewed at home, we use Folgers, but my favorite is Seaport, which was a rather strong roast.

Jamaican Blue Mountain, grown above 4000' feet, or Kona. French press, proceed to orgasm.

That said, I'm also happy with diner coffee and instant, but you asked 'favorites', so you get them.

When I was making money we would get Dark Sumatran whole beans from a local roaster. Now I drink cheap stuff from Costco, still whole beans.

Integral said:
When I was making money we would get Dark Sumatran whole beans from a local roaster. Now I drink cheap stuff from Costco, still whole beans.
Not weasel-poop beans?

turbo-1 said:
Not weasel-poop beans?

:rofl:

Ohhhh god, I can't imagine drinking that stuff.

Yes, let's eat his poop:
Paradox_hermaph_060924_ltn.jpg

BTW, when I was a kid, my father did the shopping at the local A&P. My mother and I would grow, process, and can vegetables, and my father and I would pick fiddleheads until we couldn't stand to look at them any more (bushels every night) and my mother and I would blanch and freeze them. When it was time to grocery-shop, my mother and my sisters would stay at home. My father would cruise the aisles for stuff we didn't have in the freezer or the pantry, and give me a few critical tasks. My favorite was being instructed to go get so many scoops of X beans and of Y beans and run them through the coffee grinder. I would be high on the smell of that little department for the rest of the day. To this day, when I think of A&P stores, I think of the smell of oiled hardwood floors and rich, freshly-ground coffee. You can tack in the smell of citrus in season, really sharp cheeses, etc, but ground coffee and oiled hardwood floors pretty much nail it in the primitive sections of my brain.

drink a lot of folgers here, but wouldn't turn down weasel poop

I buy beans at the commissary or grocery store - Millstone is the most common brand I buy. I get the Columbian and grind it every morning. I drink a little less than a pot a day, but at least two cups.

A morning like coffee is like ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC9wd-q8x38

Last edited by a moderator:
<h2>1. What makes coffee so addictive?</h2><p>There are a few factors that contribute to the addictive qualities of coffee. One of the main reasons is caffeine, a stimulant that can increase alertness and energy levels. Additionally, coffee contains compounds that can affect the brain's reward system, leading to feelings of pleasure and satisfaction.</p><h2>2. How does coffee affect my body?</h2><p>Coffee affects the body in several ways. As mentioned, caffeine can increase alertness and energy levels. It can also improve physical performance and decrease fatigue. However, too much caffeine can also cause jitters, anxiety, and disrupted sleep patterns. Coffee also contains antioxidants and other compounds that may have health benefits.</p><h2>3. Why do some people feel more sensitive to coffee than others?</h2><p>Individual sensitivity to coffee can vary due to a few factors. One is genetics - some people may have genetic variations that make them more sensitive to caffeine. Another factor is body weight and size - a smaller person may feel the effects of caffeine more strongly than a larger person. Other lifestyle factors, such as diet and medication use, can also play a role in sensitivity to coffee.</p><h2>4. Is coffee good for my health?</h2><p>The answer to this question is not straightforward. On one hand, coffee contains antioxidants and other compounds that may have health benefits, such as reducing the risk of certain diseases. On the other hand, too much caffeine can have negative effects on the body, and adding sugar and cream to coffee can contribute to an unhealthy diet. As with most things, moderation is key.</p><h2>5. Why do I feel more productive and focused after drinking coffee?</h2><p>Caffeine is a stimulant that can increase alertness and improve cognitive function. It works by blocking the effects of adenosine, a neurotransmitter that promotes relaxation and drowsiness. This leads to increased neural activity and can help you feel more productive and focused. However, it's important to note that the effects of caffeine can vary from person to person and may not always lead to increased productivity.</p>

1. What makes coffee so addictive?

There are a few factors that contribute to the addictive qualities of coffee. One of the main reasons is caffeine, a stimulant that can increase alertness and energy levels. Additionally, coffee contains compounds that can affect the brain's reward system, leading to feelings of pleasure and satisfaction.

2. How does coffee affect my body?

Coffee affects the body in several ways. As mentioned, caffeine can increase alertness and energy levels. It can also improve physical performance and decrease fatigue. However, too much caffeine can also cause jitters, anxiety, and disrupted sleep patterns. Coffee also contains antioxidants and other compounds that may have health benefits.

3. Why do some people feel more sensitive to coffee than others?

Individual sensitivity to coffee can vary due to a few factors. One is genetics - some people may have genetic variations that make them more sensitive to caffeine. Another factor is body weight and size - a smaller person may feel the effects of caffeine more strongly than a larger person. Other lifestyle factors, such as diet and medication use, can also play a role in sensitivity to coffee.

4. Is coffee good for my health?

The answer to this question is not straightforward. On one hand, coffee contains antioxidants and other compounds that may have health benefits, such as reducing the risk of certain diseases. On the other hand, too much caffeine can have negative effects on the body, and adding sugar and cream to coffee can contribute to an unhealthy diet. As with most things, moderation is key.

5. Why do I feel more productive and focused after drinking coffee?

Caffeine is a stimulant that can increase alertness and improve cognitive function. It works by blocking the effects of adenosine, a neurotransmitter that promotes relaxation and drowsiness. This leads to increased neural activity and can help you feel more productive and focused. However, it's important to note that the effects of caffeine can vary from person to person and may not always lead to increased productivity.