Can a Piezo Lighter Ignite Spray Packs for Tire Inflation?

• Auto/Motor
  • Thread starter jack action
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Compressors
In summary, you can bead a tire by using brute force and a thin shim, or using an explosive technique. The pressure within the tire due to explosion can go up to 8bar ( 120 psi ), but probably not since some of the gas would escape ( not sure how much in the milli-second combustion ).
Physics news on Phys.org
I first saw this years ago on a documentary about driving in Iceland. They lower the tyre pressures to get more traction in soft snow.
We’d already dropped the tyre pressures of our highly modified Toyota pickups from 30psi to just 3psi, flattening their sidewalls until their footprints were more than twice their normal width and three times their normal length.
The vehicles have on-board compressors for reinflation, but the squidgy tyres can get pulled off their rims, making reinflation difficult. (At least, that was true then: perhaps they've developed ways of preventing that now, since the above, more recent article, makes no mention of this.) A squirt of petrol (I think) and the tyre went back on with a bang, as in your video. I can't remember how they lit it, but rather them than me.

• Informative
Likes 256bits, Lnewqban, Keith_McClary and 1 other person
They don't show the tire deflating after the gas cools.

Likes hmmm27
Same trick was shown in Top Gear's Polar Special.

256bits said:
They don't show the tire deflating after the gas cools.
This is just to pop the tyre onto the bead. Once there, you can inflate it with a small on-board compressor.

Guineafowl said:
This is just to pop the tyre onto the bead. Once there, you can inflate it with a small on-board compressor.
Quite right.
Just a couple of weeks ago I beaded a tire with brute force ( hammer and a thin shim for one bead , and compressed air by pushing down on the rim for the opposite bead ), rather than using the explosive technique.

So the thread title is a bit misleading because, if you have no compressor, you do have a problem.

• Informative
Likes jack action and 256bits
I don't even want that done on on my tires at all, except in an emergency to bead the tire.
Scary stuff.

The pressure within the tire due to explosion can go up to 8bar ( 120 psi ), ( depends on the actual fuel -air ratio ) but probably not since some of the gas would escape ( not sure how much in the milli-second combustion ) - even 5 bar ( 75 psi ) is double the rating for most car tires.

After the tire is set and cooling, the pressure within can drop to 2 or 3 psi, or even to a negative gauge pressure.
One combustion product is H2O, which can condense to a liquid.
Example:
Ethanol Stoichiometric C2H6O + 3 O2 + 12N2 → 2 CO2 + 3H2O + 12N2
--> a 1/16 increase in volume ( approx 1 psi )
Condensing of the H20
--> a 2/ 16 decrease in volume ( approx a 2psi negative pressure )

Non stoichiometric , excess fuel most likely, would give different results, probably in favour of a positive pressure for volatile fuels.

I have used the technique with different spray packs, many times on truck tyres.
Only once has it ripped the sidewall clean off the bead, and that was an old dry tyre.

I keep a long piezo lighter for a gas stove to ignite the spray.
It is an evil technique. Use it only when necessary.
Stand well clear, to the side. Take care.

1. What does "No compressors? No problems" mean?

"No compressors? No problems" is a phrase commonly used in the HVAC industry to refer to a type of air conditioning system that does not require a compressor to function. This means that the system does not rely on compressing and expanding refrigerant to cool the air, making it more energy-efficient and environmentally friendly.

2. How does a "No compressors? No problems" system work?

A "No compressors? No problems" system typically uses a thermodynamic process called the Joule-Thomson effect to cool the air. This involves expanding a gas through a small orifice, causing it to cool down. The cooled gas is then circulated through the system to cool the air before being reheated and recirculated.

3. What are the benefits of a "No compressors? No problems" system?

One of the main benefits of a "No compressors? No problems" system is its energy efficiency. Since it does not use a compressor, it consumes less energy and can save on electricity costs. Additionally, these systems do not use refrigerants that contribute to ozone depletion, making them more environmentally friendly.

4. Are there any drawbacks to a "No compressors? No problems" system?

One potential drawback of a "No compressors? No problems" system is that it may not be as effective in extremely hot or humid climates. This is because the Joule-Thomson effect is less efficient in these conditions, making it harder to cool the air. Additionally, these systems may be more expensive upfront compared to traditional compressor-based systems.

5. Are "No compressors? No problems" systems suitable for all types of buildings?

While "No compressors? No problems" systems can be used in a variety of buildings, they may not be the best option for all situations. These systems work best in smaller spaces, such as individual rooms or small buildings. They may not be as effective in larger buildings or those with complex air conditioning needs. It is best to consult with a professional to determine if this type of system is suitable for your specific building.