What Caused My Home Phone to Lose Dial Tone?

• Thread starter ifhsu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Puzzle
In summary, the individual experienced a loss of dial tone on their home phone and contacted their service provider, who initially identified it as an interior wiring issue. After confirming this by testing the Network Interface Device, they disconnected all phone jacks inside the house and checked for loose connections. When the phone line suddenly started working again, they cancelled the service appointment but the issue reoccurred. They then questioned if the phone itself could be the problem and considered swapping the DSL and voice phone lines. However, they ultimately discovered that it was a faulty DSL splitter causing the issue and got it fixed.
ifhsu
[SOLVED] No dial tone puzzle

I lost home phone dial tone last week. First, I called att service and they said it is an interior wiring problem. I confirmed this by connecting a (good) corded phone in the Network Interface Device. There was a dial tone in NID and I called my home number from my cell.

Then I disconnected all phone jacks inside the house and checked any loose connections. There were all good. I finally called att again asked for service inside my house ($70+ hourly rate) to fix the problem.

The night before the service appointment the phone line suddenly worked for no apparent reason, so I called off the att service. However, the next morning it was dead again and came back alive one time the same day before went dead since 3 days ago.

I have a DSL splitter to a second line and DSL is all functional all this time.

What can go wrong and how to attack this problem? It is a puzzle for me. Need some advice.

Thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
could the phone itself be bad?
if that doesnot fix the problem
can you swap the DSL and voice phone lines ? at the out side box
next try
I would replace the wires/ jacks myself and get a new spliter too
as both will cost less then the ''SERVICE VISIT" from att

when I did that at my house I still had a problem
but I then knew it was not inside
the teck found the line to the house from the pole was intermittently shorting
do to hurricane wind dammage
he found that by shaking the line with a meter hooked up
BTW my DSL worked fine even when the phone was dead
DSL with work over only one line/wire voice dial tone needs two good lines/wires
I proved that by hooking up ONE WIRE and going on line

Last edited:
I used the corded phone at NID and it worked. That's how I confirmed it seems to be a interior wiring problem. Only that phone is connected to a jack inside the house right now.

"can you swap the DSL and voice phone lines ? at the out side box next try"
Not sure how to do it, but will look into it.

However, the second line is only available in one room, where DSL & wireless router are located. So, swapping lines won't completely solve the problem. I still need phone connection in the rest of house.

It still could be an outside line problem, right? I wonder how to make att take a closer look.

Thanks.

It was a faulty DSL splitter shorting phone line. Got it fixed. Thanks.

1. What is the "Solved: No Dial Tone Puzzle"?

The "Solved: No Dial Tone Puzzle" is a scientific experiment designed to test the problem-solving abilities of individuals. It involves a scenario where a phone is not working and the participant must figure out the correct sequence of steps to fix it.

2. How is the experiment conducted?

The experiment is typically conducted in a controlled laboratory setting. The participant is given a scenario where a phone is not working and is asked to solve the problem. The entire process is observed and recorded by the researcher.

3. What is the purpose of the "Solved: No Dial Tone Puzzle"?

The purpose of this experiment is to study problem-solving skills and strategies. It helps researchers understand how individuals approach and solve problems, and how they use logic and critical thinking to find solutions.

4. What are the benefits of participating in this experiment?

Participating in this experiment can improve problem-solving skills and critical thinking abilities. It also contributes to scientific research and helps advance our understanding of human cognition and behavior.

5. Are there any risks involved in participating in this experiment?

No, there are no known risks associated with participating in this experiment. It is a safe and controlled environment, and the participant's personal information will be kept confidential.