Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

No EDIT button.

1. Jun 7, 2004 #1

Janitor

Science Advisor

I virtually never manage to get a post the way I want it on the first try, so I rely heavily on the EDIT button. Right now the EDIT button isn't showing up at the bottom of the posts within a thread. Anybody else having this problem?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2004 #2

Janitor

Science Advisor

Ah, and wouldn't you just know it... As soon as I uploaded the post above, it showed up with the normal EDIT button just to the left of the QUOTE button, as if to taunt me.

4. Jun 8, 2004 #3

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Which forum were you trying to post to?

- Warren

5. Jun 8, 2004 #4

Janitor

Science Advisor

6. Jun 8, 2004 #5

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You cannot edit Usenet posts.

- Warren

7. Jun 8, 2004 #6

Janitor

Science Advisor

Alrighty, then. I had not picked up on the fact that it was a Usenet thread. In fact, I plead ignorance as to what that is. I guess it could mean the posts were imported from some other site, rather than originating in the Physics Forum proper.

8. Jun 8, 2004 #7

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, the sci.physics.research and sci.physics.strings forums are actually filled with posts automatically downloaded from the global bulletin board system called Usenet. The reason we disallow editing of posts to those groups is because the posts are actually sent off to the Usenet within about 10 minutes of being posted. There is no way for the poster to rescind the post, or edit it once it has been posted. The post will propagate to all the news servers in the world, and cannot be "undone."

Since we want physicsforums to present the exact same posts as those actually on Usenet servers, we cannot allow people to edit them after posting.

- Warren

9. Jun 8, 2004 #8

Janitor

Science Advisor

Okay, now I understand. Everybody connected to "all the news servers in the world" will get their chance to laugh at old Janitor. :rofl:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?