No emergency room in US hospitals ?

• Thread starter oldtobor
  • Start date
matthyaouw said:
So if I were to be walking the streets of the USA with very little money, and have to be rushed to the emergency room for some reason, and were then unable to pay for my treatment, what would happen?
They would treat you, and mail you the bill.

Tribdog has very large hospital bills from a knife wound that he never intends to pay off, i remember he mentioned. There is no debtor's prison or anything like that in this country, as someone else said that hospital might send you nasty letters but that's about it.

Travel agent's insurance is crappy, it costs about 100 dollars but covers only 20 dollars a day. And then they need "reference" hospitals in the US etc. I would really like to know if there are insurance companies in the US that will cover you for 1 or 2 months that are in the US and American since they know the system and everything is alot clearer.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
oldtobor said:
Travel agent's insurance is crappy, it costs about 100 dollars but covers only 20 dollars a day. And then they need "reference" hospitals in the US etc. I would really like to know if there are insurance companies in the US that will cover you for 1 or 2 months that are in the US and American since they know the system and everything is alot clearer.
Not that I know of, but I could be wrong since this isn't something I would ever deal with.

You could try contacting your consulate's office for their recommendations. This site lists the embassies and consulates located in the U.S. http://www.embassyworld.com/embassy/inside_usa.htm [Broken] You should have their contact information with you while traveling in the U.S. anyway, just in case you run into any unforseen problems. Keep the contact information separate from your passport and other IDs, because if your passport gets lost or stolen, that's when you're really going to need them to help.

Last edited by a moderator: