Is There a Forgot My Password Link?

• Thread starter fargoth
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the lack of a "forgot my password" link when trying to log in. The speaker suggests that there should be a more obvious location for this link, or that it should be added if it does not exist. They also mention that normally, when entering an incorrect password, there is an option to have the password sent to your email. The conversation ends with the speaker admitting they may have missed this option.
fargoth
no "forgot my password" link?

I forgot my password for a minute and couldn't log in.

during this minute I've noticed there's no way to retrieve a forgotten password...

have i missed something?
if so, there should be a more obvious location for this link - such as the "user name or password is incorrect" page.

and if there isn't such a link already - there should be...
i get forgetful once in a while...

Physics news on Phys.org
fargoth said:
I forgot my password for a minute and couldn't log in.

during this minute I've noticed there's no way to retrieve a forgotten password...

have i missed something?
if so, there should be a more obvious location for this link - such as the "user name or password is incorrect" page.

and if there isn't such a link already - there should be...
i get forgetful once in a while...

You can have your password sent to your email, it normally pops up when you fail to log in as an option? If it isn't then something fishy is going on.

You have entered an invalid username or password. Please press the back button, enter the correct details and try again. Don't forget that the password is case sensitive. Forgotten your password? https://www.physicsforums.com/login.php?do=lostpw"
You have used 1 out of 5 login attempts. After all 5 have been used, you will be unable to login for 15 minutes.

You should see this. The link works btw.

Last edited by a moderator:
hmm.. must have missed it... :blushing:

1. What should I do if I forgot my password?

If you have forgotten your password, you can click on the "Forgot my password" link on the login page. This will prompt you to enter your email address, and a password reset link will be sent to your email.

2. How long does it take for the password reset link to expire?

The password reset link typically expires within 24 hours for security purposes. If you do not reset your password within this time frame, you may need to request another reset link.

3. What if I don't receive the password reset email?

If you do not receive the password reset email, please check your spam or junk folder. If it is not there, you may need to request another reset link or contact the website administrator for further assistance.

4. Can I use the same password I had before?

For security purposes, it is recommended to create a new password when resetting your account password. This will help keep your account secure and prevent any potential hacking attempts.

5. Is there a limit to how many times I can reset my password?

There may be a limit set by the website or system on how many times you can reset your password. If you have reached the limit and are still unable to access your account, please contact the website administrator for further assistance.