Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

No hair theorem loophole

1. May 13, 2009 #1
    Does anybody roughly now the basics of why you can have hairy black holes in more than 4 D?

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2009 #2
    can you? I wasn't aware that you could.

4. May 14, 2009 #3
    You can have hairy black holes, that's for sure. The question is that I don't know why. :(

5. May 14, 2009 #4

Demystifier

Science Advisor

How do you know that? Any references?

6. May 14, 2009 #5
    If you don't no why then you can't be sure can you? If someone says you can have hairy black holes why take their word for it?

I do recall that there are more black hole solutions in higher dimensions...ring solutions

so i believe this paper contains the answers you are looking for http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0608012

7. May 14, 2009 #6

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

"no hair" in 4D means "nothing except"
    - mass
    - charge
    - angular momentum

so what do you mean by "hair":
    - additional charges?
    - higher rep. for angular momentum?

8. May 14, 2009 #7
    You are right, if I don't know why I can't be sure. :)

Thanks for the reference, I'll take a look at it.

About the hair of the black hole. Well I was talking about scalar hair.

I was reading some paper where they say they use a hairy black hole, with scalar hair, so I thought it ought to exist.

After writing this question I found this paper where they give some evidence of possible hairy black holes with scalar hair. I haven't read it carefully yet but that's what it seems.

http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/hep-th/pdf/0505/0505189v2.pdf

I'm not familiar with the topic so I'm still a little confused about all together.

Thanks for the replies :)

9. May 14, 2009 #8

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If it's a scalar, then why would you call it hair? :confused:

10. May 14, 2009 #9
  11. May 14, 2009 #10
    In dimensions higher than four Einstein's Field Equations lead to singularities of dimension greater than zero e.g. black rings, and in general black p-branes. Obviously such a configuration must be described by its spatial distribution, in the sense of black hole hair.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook