No Idea how to work this out - Charging and discharging an iPod

In summary: Yes, that would give you the average discharge power for the audio function. Can you use a similar approach to calculate the power consumption for the screen when it is left on for 5 hours?In summary, to calculate the power consumption of the screen and audio output separately for an iPod nano, one must use the equations P= I*V and E=P*t to determine the energy consumption for each function. Additionally, the average discharge power for the audio function can be calculated by dividing the total energy consumption by the time it takes for the iPod to run out of power.
andyb1990
No Idea how to work this out! -- Charging and discharging an iPod

Homework Statement

It takes about 5 hours for a fully charged ipod nano to run out of power when its screen is left on and all other functions are switched off. Subsequently, it takes about 90 minutes to recharge the ipod from a charging unit with a 5V and 500mA output. The same ipod takes about 24hours to run out of power when only the audio function is used

a) calculate the power consumption of the screen and audio output seperately

b) calculate when the power will run out if the user switches on the screen for 10 seconds every 3mins (i.e. about once every track) assuming the ipod is fully charged at the start.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where to start with this question been stuck on it for hours and can't get anything from it :( please help!

Physics news on Phys.org

andyb1990 said:

Homework Statement

It takes about 5 hours for a fully charged ipod nano to run out of power when its screen is left on and all other functions are switched off. Subsequently, it takes about 90 minutes to recharge the ipod from a charging unit with a 5V and 500mA output. The same ipod takes about 24hours to run out of power when only the audio function is used

a) calculate the power consumption of the screen and audio output seperately

b) calculate when the power will run out if the user switches on the screen for 10 seconds every 3mins (i.e. about once every track) assuming the ipod is fully charged at the start.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where to start with this question been stuck on it for hours and can't get anything from it :( please help!

You are given complete information about the charging situation. How much power is used to charge the iPod? How much energy is stored in the battery during the charging time?

is the power of the iPod

90*60 = 5400joules?

andyb1990 said:
is the power of the iPod

90*60 = 5400joules?

What is that? 90 minutes * 60 seconds/minute ?

What is the equation for power P in terms of voltage V and current I ?

What is the equation for Energy E in terms of power P and time t ?

so the formula for power

P= I . V ?? ----> 5 x 0.5 = 2.5 watts?

E= P . t -----> 2.5 x (5*60*60) = 45000 ?

then I'm unsure on what to do?

andyb1990 said:
so the formula for power

P= I . V ?? ----> 5 x 0.5 = 2.5 watts?

E= P . t -----> 2.5 x (5*60*60) = 45000 ?

then I'm unsure on what to do?

Good! Be sure to carry units along in your equations, so your E = 45000J.

So what is the discharge power if it takes 24 hours to discharge that energy?

would it be

45000J/ 24*60*60??

1. How long does it take to charge an iPod?

The time it takes to charge an iPod depends on the model and the charging method. Generally, it takes around 2-4 hours to fully charge an iPod using a wall charger.

2. Can I use any charger to charge my iPod?

No, it is recommended to use the charger that came with your iPod or a certified third-party charger. Using a non-certified charger can damage your device and void the warranty.

3. How do I know when my iPod is fully charged?

When your iPod is fully charged, the battery icon on the screen will show a plug-in symbol and the battery indicator will be full. You can also check the battery percentage in the settings.

4. How long does the battery last on an iPod?

The battery life of an iPod can vary depending on usage and model. On average, an iPod can last 8-10 hours on a single charge with continuous music playback.

5. Is it bad to leave my iPod charging overnight?

Leaving your iPod charging overnight can potentially damage the battery and reduce its lifespan. It is recommended to unplug your iPod once it is fully charged.