Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

No, I'm not a wuss.

1. Oct 31, 2004 #1
    The Exorcist is still a scary movie.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2004 #2
    So is the ring.

4. Oct 31, 2004 #3
    I'm not kidding when I say that I laughed my way through watching the Exorcist. :tongue2:

However, Poltergeist II.... now THAT scared me (the old guy Kain in it).

5. Oct 31, 2004 #4

Alkatran

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I agree. But only if you don't watch it with a group of people. Oh, and it is definitely only scary the first time through. Dark room with surround sound helps, too.

6. Oct 31, 2004 #5
    I did not think The Ring was very scary.

The exorcist on the other hand -- being a true story -- scared me for months.

7. Oct 31, 2004 #6
    I remember that the only movie that ever really scared me was Stephen King's It. Of course, I was, like, five at the time. I saw it again about a year or two ago and it was nothing.

Now, most horror movies are just too dang stupid to be scared of. The Ring was probably the best one I've seen done. Texas Chainsaw Massacre, however, was far from it.

8. Oct 31, 2004 #7

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wuss, the Exorcist 3 is much better anyway.

9. Oct 31, 2004 #8
    Way back when the first Nightmare on Elm Street came out that scared the Hell out of me. Every one after the first one sucked though.

10. Oct 31, 2004 #9

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The exorcist 2 sucked, but the exorcist 3 didn't, I prefer part 3 to part 1.

11. Oct 31, 2004 #10

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I didn't find The Ring scary, I guess because I kept pointing out all the things that didn't make any sense to my daughter, who was very annoyed with me. :redface:

The best scary movie I've ever seen is the original version of The Haunting released in 1963 with Julie Harris and Claire Bloom. It's a psychological thriller, scaring you with what you don't see.

12. Oct 31, 2004 #11

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Evo - nice costume!!

Anybody see "Saw" yet?
    Scary?

13. Oct 31, 2004 #12
    To tell the truth, most scary movies can scare me if it's dark and I'm alone. I'm mister toughguy when someone else is around, but all alone is a different story.

14. Oct 31, 2004 #13

Evo

Thanks MIH! You inspired me to get into costume after I saw your "Borg Barbie". :biggrin:

Anyone want to come over and watch scary movies with me?

I'm all alone. :frown:

15. Oct 31, 2004 #14
    put off the movies until tomorrow night and I'll come over.

16. Oct 31, 2004 #15
    First 10 - 15 minutes of the recent movie "dawn of the living dead" were scary like ****.

17. Oct 31, 2004 #16

Evo

It's a deal, I'll keep my costume on.

18. Oct 31, 2004 #17

Evo

The Haunting will be on TV tonight on TCM, I think that's Turner Classic Movies? It's on at 9pm Central, so probably 10pm EST.

You MUST watch it!

19. Oct 31, 2004 #18
    Okay, I have to go to Flagstaff tomorrow and pick up a bunch of money, then I'll go get a plane ticket. Where am I flying to?

20. Oct 31, 2004 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Scary movies are only scary when you watch them alone! I love to turn out all the lights, then watch the movie by myself. It's the only way I can scare myself, otherwise I just laugh too hard at most of those movies.

Nice costumes...I finally got into mine too.

21. Oct 31, 2004 #20
    One of the all time best scary movies is Kubrick's The Shining. It is not that it is freak you out of your seat scarry, it is more of a psicologeical thriller. Any ways what can top Jack Nicholson looking like a deranged lunitic and lines like "Heeere's Johnny!", "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy", or "Red Rum, Red Rum, Red Rum".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?