Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

No island of trash in the ocean

1. Aug 4, 2010 #1
    Instead, the patches are more like a plastic soup. An island of trash would have been easier to clean up.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2010 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

It is not a "new" view, it is just a more honestly-reported view.

Originally, it was reported as an island because that's what got media attention. They used to describe it as a mound of floating trash the size of <some state>. In fact, anyone who looked into the facts at all knew that it was just as high concentration of flotsam over a large area. I recall reading one quote from a scientist on-site saying he could see dozens and dozens (or was it hundreds) of floating objects within eyesight of the boat. Water samples also turned up high concentrations of plastic micro particles.

But ... Island?

It would seem that the original reporting spin was lost its panache, so they must re-spin it (as if its news) to whip up more attention.

4. Aug 20, 2010 #3
    And now, the media is reporting it as "http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20100819/sc_livescience/oceangarbagepatchstillamystery" [Broken]," while honestly reporting it as "shrinking."

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  5. Aug 20, 2010 #4

RonL

Gold Member

I'm glad I didn't fund a 3,000 mile sailing trip and only get 12 samples:uhh::confused:

6. Aug 20, 2010 #5

DaveC426913

Gold Member

This is telling:

A half hour of netting turns up particles smaller than 10mm totalling .3 grams.

Yep. Island indeed.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook