Arnold Schwarzenegger Faces California Freeze Crisis

• Thread starter Andre
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matter
In summary, parts of California are experiencing a freeze which may cause damage to crops such as citrus and avocados. Citrus farms have irrigation systems to prevent damage, but there are limits to their effectiveness. The extent of the damage depends on the stage of the crop and whether it damages the fruit or the trees. This could potentially have an impact on fresh fruit sales, but there is still the option of using the fruit for juice. It is uncertain if Florida also grows avocados, and if so, this could be a more devastating loss as there is not much that can be done with a frozen avocado. Some individuals do not enjoy avocado juice and find it difficult to drink through a straw.
Andre
http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=domesticNews&storyID=2007-01-17T130454Z_01_N16245202_RTRUKOC_0_US-CALIFORNIA-FREEZE.xml&WTmodLoc=NewsHome-C3-domesticNews-2

That's sad and I'm not laughing but a very cynical remark comes into mind. Has to do with global warming. What now, Arni?

Physics news on Phys.org
Every so often, this happens in either FL or CA and we hear about frost destroying crops. I know a lot of citrus farms have irrigation systems designed to run during a cold snap to prevent damage from frost, but I guess those have limits to how much they can protect the crops and for how long, depending on how cold it gets. It's also worse if it kills the trees and not just damages the fruit, of course. I don't know what stage the crop was at...is it close to harvest time for those crops? For things like oranges, if they're close enough to harvest, they won't be able to use them for fresh fruit sales, but can still be juiced (they're going to freeze the concentrate anyway). Between FL and CA, they can usually pick up the slack for one another in citrus production. I don't know if FL also grows avocados though, and since there isn't a lot you can do with a frozen avocado, that's probably a more devastating loss.

I've never been fond of avocado juice.

Math Is Hard said:
I've never been fond of avocado juice.

It's really hard to suck through a straw too. :rofl:

1. What is the "California Freeze Crisis" and how is Arnold Schwarzenegger involved?

The "California Freeze Crisis" refers to a period of extreme cold weather in California during the winter of 2005-2006. Arnold Schwarzenegger was the governor of California at the time and was responsible for implementing emergency measures to address the crisis.

2. What caused the California Freeze Crisis?

The California Freeze Crisis was caused by a combination of factors, including a prolonged period of low temperatures, high demand for electricity due to increased heating needs, and issues with the state's power grid.

3. How did Arnold Schwarzenegger handle the California Freeze Crisis?

Arnold Schwarzenegger declared a state of emergency and implemented a number of measures to alleviate the effects of the crisis. This included calling on residents to conserve energy, suspending environmental regulations to allow for increased power production, and providing financial assistance to low-income families for heating costs.

4. Did Arnold Schwarzenegger's actions during the California Freeze Crisis have a lasting impact?

Yes, the California Freeze Crisis led to significant changes in the state's energy policies and infrastructure. This included the development of new regulations and systems to prevent similar crises in the future, as well as an increase in renewable energy sources to decrease reliance on fossil fuels.

5. How can we prevent or better prepare for future freeze crises in California?

There are a number of ways to prevent or better prepare for future freeze crises in California. This includes investing in more resilient energy infrastructure, implementing policies to reduce overall energy consumption, and promoting the use of renewable energy sources. It is also important for individuals to take steps to conserve energy and prepare for extreme weather events.

Back