Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

No laughing matter

1. Jan 17, 2007 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2007 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Every so often, this happens in either FL or CA and we hear about frost destroying crops. I know a lot of citrus farms have irrigation systems designed to run during a cold snap to prevent damage from frost, but I guess those have limits to how much they can protect the crops and for how long, depending on how cold it gets. It's also worse if it kills the trees and not just damages the fruit, of course. I don't know what stage the crop was at...is it close to harvest time for those crops? For things like oranges, if they're close enough to harvest, they won't be able to use them for fresh fruit sales, but can still be juiced (they're going to freeze the concentrate anyway). Between FL and CA, they can usually pick up the slack for one another in citrus production. I don't know if FL also grows avocados though, and since there isn't a lot you can do with a frozen avocado, that's probably a more devastating loss.

4. Jan 17, 2007 #3

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've never been fond of avocado juice.

5. Jan 17, 2007 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's really hard to suck through a straw too. :rofl:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?