Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

No memory

1. Dec 15, 2007 #1

wolram

Gold Member

It is strange but i can not remember people, numbers, events ,unless they are reinforced regularly, a guy says hello rob hows things, hows your mom, how is benji, (our dog) and i do not know who the heck this guy is, and yet i can tell you in detail about every machine in the factory where i work, or about the history in my locality, i can not even remember my cars registration or only the first part XOD, i have difficulty remembering my own telephone number after two years of having it, i remember the numbers but they get mixed up, this is strange.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2007 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I can't remember actors' names that I could remember a few years ago.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2007
  4. Dec 15, 2007 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think that's unusual at all. I think it's more unusual the people who can remember the names of everyone they meet...quite a gift really. Most of the time, I'm pretty good with remembering faces, but when it comes to remembering names, I can be pretty bad. I have to sit and talk with a person most of the night to really get their name to stick (though I'm proud of myself...after last night's Christmas party, I still remember the name of our secretary's boyfriend, and her son's girlfriend, and one of our technician's girlfriends...but only because I made a point to introduce them to the other people who walked up to us after I met them...three new names in one night is a lot for me without any nametags!)

5. Dec 15, 2007 #4
    It's normal. I have an excellent memory in all fields except for, uh, what was it again? :uhh:

6. Dec 15, 2007 #5
    I have to meet someone atleast 3 times before i remember their name. I also have a bad habit of forgetting things like birthday's. I don't even know my familys birthdays.

7. Dec 15, 2007 #6

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I am horrible with names, even the names of students who always come to the tutoring sessions I tutor at. I try to organize people by characteristics instead! Ex. Instead of "Nick" I think "Guy with really low voice." and instead of "Rose", "Girl who always wears a ribbon in her hair."

This doesn't really work to well if someone else wears a ribbon though!:rolleyes:

8. Dec 15, 2007 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I finally got all my students' names right this year (all 8 of them :rolleyes:). I downloaded their student photos and printed out their photos with their names and took that to class every week so I wouldn't call them by the wrong names, and didn't have to take notes on their participation that read like "guy with dark hair and glasses..."

I'm not sure what I do next semester when I'm teaching the entire medical class and not just 8 of them. Well, at least I know 8 names. :rolleyes:

9. Dec 15, 2007 #8
    I know of a good way to remember things but I forgot what it was.

10. Dec 15, 2007 #9
    I can never remember where my sandwich went.

11. Dec 16, 2007 #10
    this is a true life version of the Seinfeld episode where he doesn't know the name of his own girlfriend:

I have this friend whom I've known for almost a year. we're not best friends, but we're friends none the less; we talk regularly and hang out and what not... yet I know only her initials! it's driving me nuts! I have no idea what her name is, and we're waaaay past the point where I could ask! I can't ask anyone else either because they'd think it's incredibly weird and probably tell her or tell someone and it would eventually reach her. ... I try to wait and keep my ears open at parties for someone to call her or something but for some crappy odds I'm never there when people actually call her. I added her on my facebook, but she only uses her initials!

the only thing that saves me from being discovered is that I call everyone "dude."

12. Dec 16, 2007 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: Your only hope is to try introducing her to someone at a party, stammer a few times, exclaim, "OMG! I can't believe I'm so drunk!" and hope she laughs and introduces herself.

13. Dec 16, 2007 #12

Danger

Gold Member

Naw, there's a better way. Challenge her to a contest of which one has the worst driver's license photo, and read her name.

14. Dec 16, 2007 #13
    :biggrin: haha and should that fails too, my last resort: spasmodically yelp out random names that start with "S" throughout the night until she turns around.

15. Dec 16, 2007 #14
    hey! that's not bad actually! ... something tells me this is not random advice coming from a novice in dealing with this sort of situation :rolleyes:.

16. Dec 16, 2007 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: That's a great one! I can see you've needed this ploy before too. :biggrin:

17. Dec 16, 2007 #16

Danger

Gold Member

I've been using that one since about the time that you were born, sweetie. (And no, I never met your mother; no inheritance for you.)
    It's really weird that in my 17 years working at the cowboy bar, and 3 years at a different one after, I had customers that I couldn't identify. I'd see them walk in the door, know who they'd chat with on the way in, what tunes (if any) they'd plug into the juke, and their regular drinks would be waiting for them by the time they got to the bar. We'd shoot the **** for a few hours, say our goodnights, and do it all over again the next night... and to this day I have no idea of what their names are. :rolleyes:

18. Dec 16, 2007 #17

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

O wow! And I thought I was bad! That is hilarious! Hope you figure it out.:rofl:

19. Dec 16, 2007 #18

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I tried this on the PF. It didn't work: her name was whited out.

She had a GREAT driver's license picture, though! :smile:

20. Dec 16, 2007 #19
    I have the same problem and its been already 2 years of friends and talking almost every day. The worst part he knows my name. Also I don't have driving license. He should get facebook so I could remember his name.

"dude" is a savior :)

21. Dec 16, 2007 #20

Danger

Gold Member

Ahhh, yes... the gorgeous Evo as a youngster. Come on now, you didn't really think that she'd be that careless... :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?