Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

No Moon

1. Mar 20, 2005 #1
    No Moon :(

What would happen to the Earth if suddenly Moon was gone?Except no more tides I can not think of something else.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

I can think of something else.

at present the earths axis is inclined around 23 degrees

the moon helps keep this angle small

if there were no moon then this tilt angle might slowly increase to 30 degrees, say, and then the changes of season would be more extreme, even harsh.

Also your question is like asking "what would it be like if suddenly all the horses were gone, and women had no breasts?"

it is a strange idea. a kind of anti-poem
  4. Mar 20, 2005 #3

Gold Member

If the moon disappeared, would we feel the effect immediately, or would we feel the effect more gradually?

Some people think that gravitational differences can be sensed instantaneously.

Some think that we would feel the effects at the speed of light.

I personally think that it would take time for the gravitational field to re-orient and the effects would not be felt for even longer than those expected under speed-of-light scenarios. Perhaps LISA can help settle this.
  5. Mar 21, 2005 #4

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

It would be a disaster for marine life, many of which depend on tides for survival.
  6. Mar 21, 2005 #5
    And all the moths in the world would get lost ;)
  7. Mar 21, 2005 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

8. Mar 21, 2005 #7
    Did you guys watch "Time Machine " few years ago?
    When our hero went into the future, humans were mining Moon or something like that and caused moon to break in half and huge disaster followed on Earth.Cool :biggrin:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?