Ryanair CEO Michael O'Leary: Who Needs a Copilot?

• Thread starter Andre
  • Start date
In summary, Ryanair CEO Michael O'Leary is proposing to remove a pilot from an airliner in order to save money. He believes that one person can handle the task of flying the plane, and wants to convince safety regulators of this. There are many reasons why this idea is not feasible, and removing a pilot from an airliner would risk the safety of all passengers.
So again fear rules, we had a thread about that a little earlier that ended in buying stock. However it made me realize beforehand that it would go nowhere in the first place like this post, there is no fighting fear as far as I know.

Physics news on Phys.org
Andre said:
So again fear rules, we had a thread about that a little earlier that ended in buying stock. However it made me realize beforehand that it would go nowhere in the first place like this post, there is no fighting fear as far as I know.

There is manipulation as a means of easing fear; you cannot take it head on with logic however. Use your logic to formulate a means of attack on the roots of fear, or to manipulate perceptions so that it seems to be advantageous to fear something else. That is how you fight fear unless you are willing to educate HUGE numbers of people, and get lucky.

While the arguments between one or two pilots have merit on both sides, I think we still have a ways to go before zero pilot is common:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39082772"

WASHINGTON — The U.S. military almost launched fighter jets and discussed a possible shoot-down when an errant Navy drone briefly veered into restricted airspace near the nation's capital last month, a senior military official said Thursday.

That whole area is fairly densely populated, it could have ended badly. But it would have been quite an air show!

Last edited by a moderator:
Andre said:
And, suppose, just suppose, -not saying that it is true-, but suppose hypothetically that the chance of a mishap due to having a single class A pilot (illness, capacity overload, anything) is 10 times smaller than mishaps due to crew miss co-ordination between class C pilots, what would it take convince the public that in reality the single pilot concept is safer ?

If the airline is entirely capable of distinguishing who is a first tier and a second tier pilot, they should be able to put one of each on each flight

Here's an idea: Let's go with a single class B pilot on the flight deck, but back him or her up with a class A flight management director keeping in touch from airlines headquarters via satcom. The pilot would be in charge, while the FMD would provide a second set of eyes overlooking several flights, but could focus on a single flight if a situation such as an in-flight emergency developed. Complex systems information can be broadcast to airlines headquarters the same as it's done for the Global Hawk.

I'd voted for not having B class pilots, and I'm afraid Office_shredder that airlines don't keep record of A and B class. Also, a ground control pilot via satelite has the problem of reduced situational awareness. He has only a fraction of the information that he pilot in the cockpit has and that with the delay of satcom, dramatically reducing the quality of his command loop or OODA loop

So he would probably be too late to intervene to exit that microburst, I discussed earlier, if he'd noticed it at all in the ground station.