ADHD & Physics: Finding a Career Path

In summary, the individual is struggling in graduate school due to poor performance and has recently been diagnosed with ADHD. They are frustrated and seeking help, but unsure of what support they can receive from the university. They also express interest in finding a career or academic path that is better suited for individuals with ADHD.
Artus
Hi:

I started Graduate school this year (Physics), but my performance has been awful, I think I'm going to be kicked out from University. I recently was diagnosed with ADHD, which explains my hard struggle through school during my whole life. I find this horrible and I'm full of anger, because I'm a failure while because of a problem with my mind, while everybody thinks I'm lazy and irresponsible.

I already started medication under a Doctor's prescription (Strattera), but I don't feel I'm making progress on my focus and organization. I could talk with University authorities, but I'm not sure what kind of support I can get from them, because there is not an obvious disability like hearing, sight, or motor ones.

I don't know what can I do, because I'm constantly changing my interests. From Physics to Economics to Musics to Computers to whatever I might like, except that people with ADHD are not able to control their attention span.

Is there hope to ADHDers interested in Physics? If not, what kind of Academic studies or careers are best suited to us?

Also, if there are people here with the same problem. I'd really appreciate your tips to cope with this monster.

Physics news on Phys.org
Null_ said:
You obviously did well enough in undergrad physics to get to grad school physics. It seems like, pardon me for saying this if it isn't true, your diagnosis made your condition worse? I am sure there are people (medical or counselors) who can help you focus.
https://www.google.com/search?q=adh...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

It could also be that grad school is just much harder than undergrad, and much more dense. That's the problem I've run into. I've never been diagnosed with ADHD or anything, but I have severe trouble staying focused when entering the second hour of one derivation using mathematics I've never heard of before with little to no connection to the actual physical system that we are supposedly talking about.

Artus said:
Hi:I'm not sure what kind of support I can get from them, because there is not an obvious disability like hearing, sight, or motor ones.
Most disabilities are ones you cannot see. I am unsure what type of support you'd get but you might be able to get some assuming you have the paperwork to prove your diagnosis.

I can understand the struggles and frustrations you are facing. It is not easy to discover and come to terms with a condition like ADHD, especially when it affects your academic performance and career goals. However, I want to assure you that there is hope for ADHDers interested in physics. In fact, some successful physicists, such as Albert Einstein and Richard Feynman, are believed to have had ADHD. This shows that having ADHD does not mean you cannot excel in the field of physics.

First and foremost, I would highly recommend seeking support and accommodations from your university. As you mentioned, ADHD is not a visible disability, but it is recognized as a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). This means that you are entitled to certain accommodations, such as extended time on exams or a quiet testing environment, to help you succeed in your studies. Talk to your university's disability services office and provide them with documentation of your diagnosis. They can work with you to develop a plan for accommodations that suit your needs. It is important to remember that seeking support and accommodations is not a sign of weakness, but rather a way to level the playing field and give you the opportunity to show your true potential.

In addition to seeking support from your university, there are also strategies and techniques that can help you cope with ADHD while pursuing a career in physics. Some tips that may be helpful include breaking down tasks into smaller, more manageable chunks, finding a quiet and organized study space, and using tools and apps to help with organization and time management. It may also be beneficial to speak with a therapist or counselor who specializes in ADHD to develop personalized coping strategies.

As for career paths, there are many options for individuals with ADHD in the field of physics. Some may find success in research, where they can use their creativity and hyperfocus to their advantage. Others may excel in teaching, as they can bring energy and enthusiasm to the classroom. There are also opportunities in industry, such as data analysis or engineering, where ADHD traits like multitasking and problem-solving can be valuable assets. The key is to find a career path that aligns with your interests and strengths, and to not limit yourself based on your ADHD diagnosis.

In conclusion, having ADHD does not mean you cannot succeed in physics or any other field. With the right support, accommodations, and coping strategies, you can overcome the challenges and achieve your goals. Remember to be patient with yourself and never give up on your dreams. Best

1. What is the connection between ADHD and pursuing a career in physics?

There is no direct connection between ADHD and pursuing a career in physics. However, individuals with ADHD may face additional challenges in this field due to difficulties with focus, organization, and time management.

2. Is it possible for someone with ADHD to be successful in physics?

Yes, it is absolutely possible for someone with ADHD to be successful in physics. Many individuals with ADHD have found success in this field by developing coping mechanisms, seeking support, and utilizing accommodations.

3. Are there any specific strategies or accommodations that can help individuals with ADHD in a physics career?

Yes, there are several strategies and accommodations that can help individuals with ADHD in a physics career. These include creating a structured schedule, breaking down tasks into smaller chunks, and utilizing assistive technologies or tools to aid with focus and organization.

4. Are there any examples of successful physicists with ADHD?

Yes, there are many successful physicists who have ADHD. For example, Nobel Prize winner Dr. John Nash and renowned physicist Dr. Richard Feynman both had ADHD. Their success serves as inspiration and proof that individuals with ADHD can excel in physics.

5. Is it important for individuals with ADHD to disclose their condition in a physics career?

Disclosure of ADHD in a physics career is a personal decision. Some individuals may choose to disclose in order to receive accommodations and support, while others may choose not to disclose in order to avoid potential stigmas or discrimination. It is important to weigh the potential benefits and risks before making a decision.