Monopoly Goes Digital: Is Paper Money a Thing of the Past?

• Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Money
In summary, Hasbro is introducing a new version of the classic Monopoly game that has no paper money. A computer sitting in the middle of the board keeps track of players' money and rolls virtual dice for you, telling you what to do. No more Monopoly money?!

People banned me from doing the 4 houses trick as I always did it. It's a fairly cheap move, like being Eddy in Tekken 3.

The reason I loved Monopoly becuase you could make up your own rules. It was that adaptability that made the game interesting, and the whole reason people don't get bored of it.

Monopoly on Hard mode:
We had a no cash (or low nominal sum) starting game. It was essentially a race around the board (double money if you landed on go). No free parking money.

Physics news on Phys.org

xxChrisxx said:
People banned me from doing the 4 houses trick as I always did it. It's a fairly cheap move, like being Eddy in Tekken 3.

The reason I loved Monopoly becuase you could make up your own rules. It was that adaptability that made the game interesting, and the whole reason people don't get bored of it.

Monopoly on Hard mode:
We had a no cash (or low nominal sum) starting game. It was essentially a race around the board (double money if you landed on go). No free parking money.

Wow... that's hard-core. :biggrin: Did you guys drink black coffee and eat brown bread with pickles while doing it? I just have to get a sense for, what to me, sounds like a desperate and joyless scene.

Still, isn't that the fun of Monopoly? It's all Shadenfreude, "gin blossoms, and spite." :tongue2: edit: It's the point Tolstoy made... although I may be altering this slightly:

"Happy [games of Monopoly] are all alike; every unhappy [game of Monopoly] is unhappy in its own way." (Sort of Anna Karenina)

nismaratwork said:
Wow... that's hard-core. :biggrin: Did you guys drink black coffee and eat brown bread with pickles while doing it? I just have to get a sense for, what to me, sounds like a desperate and joyless scene.

Still, isn't tha the fun of Monopoly? It's all Shadenfreude, "gin blossoms, and spite." :tongue2:

What's wrong with black coffee, brown bread, and pickles? For us, this was a game played by 7 kids trapped in a house together by horrid weather. Torment (for the others) counted towards those invisible, yet more important, victory points.

BobG said:
What's wrong with black coffee, brown bread, and pickles? For us, this was a game played by 7 kids trapped in a house together by horrid weather. Torment (for the others) counted towards those invisible, yet more important, victory points.

Because it's VODKA, BLACK bread... an pickles. You're talking to someone who's half Russian... I have no issue with that. It was just meant to conjure an image, not be a literal description. :biggrin:

Heck, I like MASTIC gum... yeah... not sugary stuff either, straight gum from Chios Mastica. I'm also not arguing against Shadenfreude, or spite, in fact, that's my entire point. You need that freedom to make Monopoly the entertaining hellscape that it is!

jtbell said:
Hasbro is introducing a new version of the classic Monopoly game that has the familiar houses, hotels and title deed cards, but no paper money. A computer sitting in the middle of the board keeps track of players' money and rolls virtual dice for you, telling you what to do via its speaker.

No Dice, No Money, No Cheating. Are You Sure This Is Monopoly? (NY Times)
Now if they add, subprime mortgages, interest-only, ARMs, MBSs, RMBSs, CMBS, ABSs, CDSs, CDOs, CLOs, CDO2s, and hedge funds, they'd have a real game.

Astronuc said:
Now if they add, subprime mortgages, interest-only, ARMs, MBSs, RMBSs, CMBS, ABSs, CDSs, CDOs, CLOs, CDO2s, and hedge funds, they'd have a real game.

'The Game of Life'... "Real World Edition". :tongue:

nismaratwork said:
'The Game of Life'... "Real World Edition". :tongue:

A game I DO NOT want to play :D

Astronuc said:
And aside from the banker, every player would lose. Hmmm... I think I recognize that game.

Greg Bernhardt said:
A game I DO NOT want to play :D

Agreed, and yet... here we are! Lucky lucky us, huh? :crys:

xxChrisxx said:
... the 4 houses trick...
When I played with my siblings, we allowed houses on top of hotels (and added their rent together). One time someone even got up to two hotels on their property. fun!

BobG said:
Torment (for the others) counted towards those invisible, yet more important, victory points.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

At least Settlers of Cataan is still a board game.

And always interesting since the board is set up randomly. There is no single strategy you can use over and over.

BobG said:
At least Settlers of Cataan is still a board game.

And always interesting since the board is set up randomly. There is no single strategy you can use over and over.

True! It's gained some new popularity on console gaming as well, although I for one prefer the board game.

The best property is yellow/green and if you can get it red. If you own yellow/green the game is over, so long as you can afford to maintain some houses or hotels on them without having to sell them back.

@the op... kind of sad, I think. I remember playing monopoly with my parents and being the banker. It teaches you a lot imo.

BobG said:
But if you put money in Free Parking, then you're essentially playing "Let's see who gets tossed in jail most often" (since the person going to jail most often usually lands on Free Parking most often). What kind of lesson is that?!

I always envisioned Free Parking as rampant government corruption. The bastard with the most get out of jail free cards has the biggest chance of taking all the tax payers money.

zomgwtf said:
The best property is yellow/green and if you can get it red. If you own yellow/green the game is over, so long as you can afford to maintain some houses or hotels on them without having to sell them back.

Wrong. Orange wins. DONE.

This makes me sad. When I was a kid we played the game so that if the owner of whatever property you landed on doesn't ask for rent you don't have to pay. So I usually got monopolies by trading free rent rights on certain properties. Our games rarely went longer than 6 hours though. Now Risk is a game which takes potentially months to complete with competent players.

One good thing about this change is If I ever have to play this game with my grandparents again, they couldn't just get bored and give away all their property to someone (still won but took much longer).

I just realized... it's pretty hilarius that the thread about Monopoly is pretty hostile. I mean, not so much to each other, but it kind of feels like... Monopoly. :biggrin:

#50 reminds me especially, and I mean that a pure complent Pengwuino!

[PLAIN]http://cdn.uberreview.com/wp-content/uploads/monopoly-board.png

Last edited by a moderator:

There is only one solution. Rob a train!

Kurdt said:
There is only one solution. Rob a train!

I'm in... but only if I get the nickname, "Fats". (Trumpet... and fat!) I've always wanted to be part of a "nickname" gang. I so envy those gentlemen of Italian descent who recently were taken in... now THOSE were nicknames... :wink: