Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

No, my town isn't haunted *feels left out*

1. Sep 20, 2005 #1
    no, my town isn't haunted *feels left out* :(

This is a thread that demonstrates how people get together to creep each other out, trying to top each other with more extreme ghost stories.

It creates a situation where it becomes socially more desirable to have seen a ghost (in this case : to live near some "haunted" place), such that the people who don't feel "left out" and "disappointed".

Is your town haunted? - DiscussAnything.com -
    Address:http://www.discussanything.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1082430

In this way, people teach each other standard ghost lore, and prime each other to want to see ghosts.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2005 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I saw as many jokes as anything. It seems to me that people are taught to ridicule such ideas as much as to believe in them.

4. Sep 20, 2005 #3
    My house is haunted. Whenever I go for a no. 1, I leave the seat up. Even if I haven't heard the toilet being flushed since, when I go back the seat is down. Also, whenever I run out of orange juice, a new, opened carton always appears in the fridge. I throw my clothes into the corner of my bedroom when they're dirty... a couple of days later, they're gone... the next day, they're in my wardrobe. And get this: clean as if I'd never wore them. Weird, huh? My girlfriend doesn't believe any of this. Whenever I try and talk to her about it, she just laughs, shakes her head and walks off. She's Scully to my Mulder.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?